Poly Fiber EV-400

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
Hi all,

Rainbow uses an epoxy varnish product from Poly Fiber called EV-400 to seal wood parts like formers and floor boards. The formers kit I got from Ron didn't have the spruce reinforcing strips on the second and third formers like the factory formers would have. Ron said he's never found the need for them and, with new fabric/paint systems having much less of a tendency over time to really shrink and squeeze things underneath, it's entirely possible that the strips aren't needed. I added them anyway because I can be anal like that.

T-88 epoxy was recommended by Ron for adding the strips but now the new parts have to be sealed up before they can go back in.

As it ends up, brushing EV-400 on works well for the first coat. The second coat activates the first coat so they combine into each other chemically but I found it very hard to brush out a smooth enough finish, especially in high heat and humidity.

Has anyone here ever sprayed EV-400? What gun would I use? Any tips/tricks to getting a nice finish and can it be done outside in the open or would I have to build a booth?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Bob Turner

I agree with that, and yet I understand your desire for smooth glossy finish. Why not try a second brush coat? Alternatively you could just top coat it with Deft.
Spraying catalyzed paint is not the greatest idea, unless you have external air. Bad enough just spraying dope.

Hiperbiper

Should you really desire a second smooth coat but have to contend with high heat and humidity stick the catalyzed ev400 in the fridge for an hour or so...then overcoat the formers. The lower product temperature will give the varnish time to flow out over the first coat...

Chris

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
You're gonna cover the fuselage aren't you?
Till then just don't take any close up pictures and you won't be judged...
Part of me wants the parts to look nice for when someone goes in there to change the battery. :)

Part of me wants to learn how to do EV-400 the right way so when I spray the wood wings of my next project they'll look like $1,000,000 (that's a million bucks!).