Pre Purchase Questions - Paint

Hayduke

I'm looking at a 1968 7ECA for sale. The fabric was re-done in 2005 and hangared since. However, although the paint looks great most everywhere, it is pealing in a few spots, about a quarter size chunks missing where you can see down to the fabric, no cracks anywhere just the pealed sections. It was Ceconite. I'm not sure about the paint yet, I'm still working on more details. It is mostly on the ailerons, and a bit on the upper wing surfaces, maybe 4-5 spots total.

Thoughts?

Hayduke

The wings were covered with Stits Poly-Fiber in 1998, painted with randolph blue and juneau white and bahama blue. The fuselage was painted similar in 2004, I just figured this out, because the fuselage is much newer paint than the wings. So the wings have 20 years on them, mostly or always hangared. Mostly the ailerons are showing issues with paint. Again, they are small sections like the size of a quarter with no paint. I would love to get 5 years out of the wings, with them being outside.

Hayduke

I'm not an expert, but it looks like white fabric. Sorry no pics yet. I don't have access to the airplane.

Sully

If it's down to fabric it needs to be repaired. An A&P will need to evaluate it.
Almost sounds like some hail damage.

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
Don't they always leave a bare circle or two for some reason? It could also be where a drain grommet got knocked off and took the paint with it. Are the spots on the bottom where drains should be?