Pros/cons of painting tail wheel springs?

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
Needed to degrease around the base of the tail and removed the tail wheel. Would like to clean it up before it goes back on but what is best practice for a well cared for tail wheel and spring?

Thanks!
Bart

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
hate to do that with my freshly painted white/red fuselage but it makes sense to just paint the springs black and the tailwheel assembly black or silver. is the tailwheel assembly typically black too?

Bob Turner

The 3200 is usually grey. Nobody ever repaints them. The rest of the smaller tailwheels appear to be silver. The 3200 wheel itself is black.

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Bob! It's grease color at the moment, needs a good cleaning and the silver underneath is probably in good shape. The springs need fresh paint. Black would be easy so black it is!

Citabria.pt

I've painted my 3200 white. And the wheel rim white too. And the rudder-to-wheel springs white too.
But I must say they are mostly filled up with this fine mixture of grease+engine oil (yes, from short negative-G's!!!)+smoke oil+sand+dirt.
Have to clean that mess every week, or every 15 days !!!
Leaf springs are black, new factory ones, new style, larger than the original 1969 ones. Helped to stop shimmy issues.