Rear Seat Removal

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
How would you keep stuff from shifting forward and jamming the rear stick? Remove the stick too?

Goodyear

Yes, remove the stick. It may have a quick disconnect for the PTT. If not you will have to install one. Rear seat attachment bolts can also be setup for quick removal. A cover is available from ACA for the rear stick opening.

Phil Berggren

Thanks for info on rear stick opening cover. I was going to Velcro an upside down metal dog bowl! If my reading of the regs is correct, to carry a rear seater legally one would have to have a rear seat? With the stick removed you can still load a lot of stuff with the seat in place, as a compromise.

Phil Berggren

Sorry, too vague. Just thinking if you get somewhere and then want to have a passenger after dumping your gear.

Goodyear

Just remove the rear seat (quick release pins), fold it up and stow it in the way back and put it back in when you get there. Or just pile stuff all around it. Sounds like a fun expedition. They will haul more than the book says we can.

TurboBeaver

A GCBC with a Seaplane prop will haul a Bull Moose off an 800' strip. Usually hauled the horns on the struts on a separate trip. A folding rear seat back works good for lots of applications, your mileage may vary.

Big Ed

N50247 - '79 Super D
I replaced the cotter pins in the rear seat hinge restraining cable pins with clevis rings. That makes it quick to fold the seatback down for access.

The frame has welded anchor points to fasten a cargo net at the front of the baggage area.

I just went on a 9 day camping trip with a business meeting mixed in. Carried everything I needed in the baggage compartment with the seat in place. You can stack stuff all the way to the roof as long as you watch the 100 pound weight limit.

volvo164

Laszlo
Can I just check - is it legal to fly with a passenger without the rear stick? The stick is indeed easy to remove (I don't have PTT in the back) - just wasn't sure about the legality of it. My non pilot passengers complain about it on long x-countries.

Lisa

From A-759:

Item 402. Cargo rack replacing rear seat, cushion and belt 5 lb. (+40)

Item 404. Seats (a) Wide rear seat, dwg. 7-1067, cushions and belt, 18 lb (+46)

My (1956) rear seat is held in with clips / pins, so, it seems one gains 13 pounds and can load that area out within weight and CG limits by removal....

Mrskaw

Sorry, too vague. Just thinking if you get somewhere and then want to have a passenger after dumping your gear.
Phil… if I were doing a cargo run to cabin… I can remove rear seat and stick with only me in the plane per reg. correct?

Last edited:

Phil Berggren

Haven’t checked in for awhile. RIP Robert Szego. The factory has ”quick release pins” for both rear seat and stick. Depending on the fit, there may be some fiddling to get the seat pins in and out. I think they also have a cover for the rear stick hole. I’ve decided unless you have a bulky odd load it works fine for both loading and cg to pack things on and around the rear seat, especially with the rear stick removed…one reason I like the narrow rear seat, and it’s slightly lighter than the wide seat.

Mrskaw

Haven’t checked in for awhile. RIP Robert Szego. The factory has ”quick release pins” for both rear seat and stick. Depending on the fit, there may be some fiddling to get the seat pins in and out. I think they also have a cover for the rear stick hole. I’ve decided unless you have a bulky odd load it works fine for both loading and cg to pack things on and around the rear seat, especially with the rear stick removed…one reason I like the narrow rear seat, and it’s slightly lighter than the wide seat.
Perfect, thank you Phil.