Citabria Remote oil filter or oil adapter

Rick

Hello everyone I tried to search the site for a previous discussion about oil filters and didn't see anything. I am starting to research options for my 96 7GCBC with the O-320 and would like to hear some pro's and con's about the remote vs adapters. Thanks for any input

Explorer

A little off topic.

The quote and attachment is from Mike Busch - Savvy Aviator.

What is a Full-Flow Oil Filter?

"Had this owner retrofitted his engine with a full-flow oil filter, chances are good that all the metal would have been caught by the filter and the teardown avoided. I suspect that’s the first thing he’ll do after the engine comes back from the engine shop."

Attachments

Hiperbiper

A little off topic.

The quote and attachment is from Mike Busch - Savvy Aviator.

What is a Full-Flow Oil Filter?

"Had this owner retrofitted his engine with a full-flow oil filter, chances are good that all the metal would have been caught by the filter and the teardown avoided. I suspect that’s the first thing he’ll do after the engine comes back from the engine shop."
This statement should have "depending on what failed inside the motor..." somewhere in the article. I've seen a fragged motor with a clean oil filter but metal in the governor screen. So as with almost everything else, it depends...
That being said; any good filter adapter is worthwhile. Casper Labs, B&C and Airwolf are all good. If space permits I'm partial to the accessory case mounted adapters for a couple of reasons, one is the lack of hoses and fittings. Another is that some day someone will put a filter on the adapter that will, 50 hours later, require curse words and a cheater pipe to get the damn thing loose. An adapter mounted on the motor no problem. An adapter mounted on a firewall or other thin panel can and will cause damage and/or require the adapter to be removed from the engine compartment...BTDT.IF 🤬

JMPO
Chris

Hiperbiper

Appreciated Chris,

It seems if its a proper fit, Casper Labs is the preferred choice. https://www.shortwingpipers.org/forum/archive/index.php/t-4814.html

Do you remove the primary screen when mounting and the adapter has the screen?

Thank you!
Yes, the screen and screen housing is removed. You then transfer your oil temperature probe and/or the vernatherm to the new filter adapter and (using a new gasket of course) bolt it up. Unless you're talking about the suction screen in the sump. That stays in place.
Prior to making the change make sure things like the tach cable aren't going to be in the way and that you have any adapters for the temp bulb etc. that might be required on hand...
After you get it installed and flying think about buying or borrowing an oil filter cutter so you can cut a filter open occasionally to look for bad stuff...

Chris

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
Hello everyone I tried to search the site for a previous discussion about oil filters and didn't see anything. I am starting to research options for my 96 7GCBC with the O-320 and would like to hear some pro's and con's about the remote vs adapters. Thanks for any input
I had the Airwolf kit on my 7ECA when I got it but I wasn't getting an oil temp indication. looking at the adapter design, the cavity where the oil temp sender resides is deep and doesn't self bleed if air gets up there (like when you change the sender).

I replaced it all with a B&C kit and it's been perfect ever since.

Bart

RogerG

I installed the Casper Labs recently on the 7ECA. Bill with Casper Labs is outstanding, and will visit with you on the phone to make sure what will be needed to install the STC Spin on your particular setup. Highly recommend.