Searching for a quality 7ECA

FalcoF8l

It's a new year and the beginning of a dark era. We might soon see the outlawing of fossil fuels so I'm in a hurry to find a quality 7ECA to fly before having to make it a lawn planter. Anything out there coming up?

Bob Turner

Last I looked, these were plentiful, and as good a "buy" as any lightplane in the $30-40K range.

FalcoF8l

Last I looked, these were plentiful, and as good a "buy" as any lightplane in the $30-40K range.
Please direct me to them because I have inquired about all that I have found on Trade a plane, Barnstormers and this group and have yet to find not that met my quality and price.

Goodyear

By the way, things have brightened up considerably and I think you will find a nice airplane. Positive attitude.

FalcoF8l

Not sure what you’re referring to about brightening up but until I find an airplane and can still afford to put gas in it will be a dark day

Bob Turner

Happy to help, but you would have to specify what your parameters are. If it is recent fabric and interior, glass cockpit, fresh engine overhaul, and $40 grand, it won't be happening soon, if ever.

FalcoF8l

Well I don’t think you’ll find a glass cockpit in a 7eca but i’ll play along. 40k or under. Decent radio, transponder with adsb, Intercom, shoulder harnesses decent Interior, fabric and paint.

Bob Turner

That is doable. 20 year fabric kept inside, mid-time engine, forty grand. My Decathlon fits that description, but I am not selling.

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
Well I don’t think you’ll find a glass cockpit in a 7eca but i’ll play along. 40k or under. Decent radio, transponder with adsb, Intercom, shoulder harnesses decent Interior, fabric and paint.
Hi Falco,

First of all, I'm biased because I happen to own a 7ECA. I got tired of looking for a Cub with good paperwork, good mechanicals, a reasonable price and a few of the usual upgrades already installed. An experimental Cub with an O-235 got me thinking that I should consider a 7ECA and it was the best thing that could have happened. First, because of that twist in the story line, we're here at ChampCitabriaDecathlonForums.com talking about it because if it wasn't for my Citabria this website wouldn't have been started! Second, like Bob said, the 7ECA has got to be the absolute best value play in aviation. There are so many good things you can say about the plane and it's affordable on top of everything else. So, we're in agreement with each other, not that you needed me to go on about the mighty 7ECA.

Regarding planes that might be available soon, I don't know of any right now. Mine might be on the market by this time next year but that's a long shot. We can beat the bushes here and there and let you know what comes of it but the best sources are Barnstormers.com and trade-a-plane.com. There are other start-up used aircraft sites but none of them seem to have the traffic that Barnstormers does/did. As much as I hate to say it, facebook (gosh I 'effing hate facebook!) is a pretty active resource if you don't mind going there. If you're not on facebook I'd be happy to post there that we have a member here looking for a 7ECA.

There might actually be one for sale in south Jersey, recently restored/painted and mechanically sound best I can tell. I can ask my buddy Abbas if he is ready to sell.

Lastly, fossil fuels will be around for a good long time to come. Just because cars and some industries are getting away from exclusively burning petroleum based fuels, there are decades ahead of us where we should be just fine. Too many existing and new cars in the market to pull the plug anytime soon.

Welcome to the site and let's find you an airplane!
Bart

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
gave him a call, new paint and fabric, 1200 total airframe and engine, new tailwheel, new windshield, new transponder, other stuff done recently. wants to get in the mid to low 50's

Last edited:

FalcoF8l

Bartman, That plane is sure pretty and I know that prices are increasing but for a training plane I don't think a 7ECA is worth 50K so a student getting his TW transition can beat it up, thus the cap around 40K. I've owned three Citabrias, a Super D, Decathlon and a 7ECA. I bought my 7ECA for 23K, did some improvements and sold it for 31K. It is the only one other than a Scout, of the Citabria lineage that has a high enough UL to carry two, uh hem, solid people. Mine had a adjustable front seat. I looked at one in Washington State with a fixed front seat and found it difficult with a bad back and knees to get into the front seat. Back seat no problem and that's where I'll be doing most of my flying. As to FB I love all my aviation groups but I am cancelling my page and moving to MeWe and Parler. I hate the freckled faced, red headed punk who runs it like a tyrant and won't support him anymore. Is there a chance you can move the group to MeWe or Parler where they don't throw people off they don't agree with?

Bob Turner

That does look like a $53K Bird. We bought one some years ago for 25 - fresh overhaul, but the rest was dirtbag, as in really ratty with a heavy overspray of auto enamel. Oleo gear, 115hp.
Those are probably the extremes.

FalcoF8l

I forgot!!! milman aluminum spar wings. sorry!
Millman spars does add some value. If your friend is willing to sell I'd like to talk with him, can you email or text me his number? What airport is he located? I'm from Northern NJ. grew up there. [email protected] 817-279-3080 Tom

Last edited: