Skybeacon

Joesf

My AI installed the skybeacon by uavionix on my 2005 gcaa. Installation was 2 hours. It works as advertised. One slight disappointment is that the strobe is only visible to the side due to the fact that it’s not in a bubble that gives fore and aft visibility as well. I do have to fly with the nav lights on as well for it to operate. It’s also only good for flight in the USA since it’s a UAT unit.
All in all I’m satisfied with it because I have the ADSB compliance for ADSB out.

JimParker256

1965 Champion 7ECA (O-200)
Not quite what you were discussing, but in the software app (downloadable from the app stores) there is a "configuration option" to enable/disable the strobes. The nav light switch does have to be "on" for the ADS-B Out to work, but at least you can disable the strobes when they might be annoying to other pilots (or to yourself). On another forum, a guy posted an email he got from uAvionix stating that using the configuration software as the strobe on/off switch was perfectly fine. Make sure your installer gave you the "passcode" to access the software, so you can do that, as well as enabling "anonymous mode" when you choose to do so. The passcodes are unique by serial number.

Joesf

Thanks Jim , I’m going to look into this and will get back to you.
Joe

Joesf

Hi Jim,

I remembered to check it out today. When the Nav lights are on the port strobe does not flash. It needs the aircraft strobe switch to be on as well. Then both flash. Strobe switch off, no strobes. Without the navlights on only the starboard strobe flashes. You must always fly with nav lights on anyway for the skybeacon to operate, so the strobeswitch in the plane does operate both when the navlights are on.

JimParker256

Joe, I should probably have clarified my statements better. If your airplane already had wiring for both strobes and nav lights, and separate switches for them, the SkyBeacon installation instructions show you how to wire the nav and strobe to separate switches. But many airplanes (like my '65 7ECA) have only nav lights + rotating beacon – thus no separate switch for the strobes. And that's where the software app comes in, because you can use it to turn the strobes on and off, even though you don't have a separate switch.

Joesf

Joe, I should probably have clarified my statements better. If your airplane already had wiring for both strobes and nav lights, and separate switches for them, the SkyBeacon installation instructions show you how to wire the nav and strobe to separate switches. But many airplanes (like my '65 7ECA) have only nav lights + rotating beacon – thus no separate switch for the strobes. And that's where the software app comes in, because you can use it to turn the strobes on and off, even though you don't have a separate switch.

Joesf

Thank you Jim for this. On another note, how does your GPS altitude from the skyBeacon compare to the actual field elevation. Mine shows me -70 feet for a field elevation of 16 feet. My other GPS sources show 20 feet. I have a ticket in with skyBeacon and await the answer.

JimParker256

OK - gotta correct a misconception here... The ATC system is predicated on BARO altitude, and that's what the SkyBeacon is reporting. SkyBeacon uses an internal blind encoder, according to their website, and that encoder meets the usual TSO for those devices. Blind encoders measure and report your Pressure Altitude – as though the encoder's altimeter setting were always set to 29.92 in Hg (and all the other ISA conditions, as well). The ATC radar system then uses the altimeter setting of the area you're flying over to compensate their displays, so they see the altitude you're actually flying. It's not perfect, but it's a heck of a lot better than using "kohlsman adjusted" altitude for reporting. (See below for explanation.)

If you want to check the accuracy of your SkyBeacon's altitude report (or your Mode C transponder's , for that matter), you can get a reasonably accurate check by setting your altimeter to 29.92 and reading the pressure altitude it shows. That should align pretty closely with both the the Mode-C and SkyBeacon altitude reports. AC-43-6C allows ±20 feet difference on the test I described above, but the tolerances with actual test equipment may be tighter or looser - I'm not sure on that. But if you're within 20 feet, you are probably in good shape.

But if your SkyBeacon's reported altitude is not within ±20 feet of your altimeter reading at 29.92, and you are sure your altimeter is reasonably accurate, then you'll need to check with uAvionix about calibration procedures (or warranty repairs, depending on their response). I would also take a look at your Mode-C transponder, to see if it shows you the altitude it is reporting to ATC (many do - check your manual). If those two "blind encoders" are reporting pretty close to the same altitude, and that was significantly different from what the altimeter read at 29.92" then I might suspect your altimeter as needing calibration, rather than both encoders being off... It might be time for a complete pitot/static check in addition to the biennial transponder/encoder calibration.

GPS altitude BARO altitude:

GPS altitude is basically never matches BARO altitude – at least not for long – for a myriad of reasons, mostly centering around the elliptical error of deriving altitude from GPS satellites. GPS altitudes can vary anywhere within ±250 feet quite easily, though WAAS tightens that up somewhat, and with more satellites in view you might get better accuracy. (For example, ForeFlight will show ±75 FPM while I'm sitting at my desk looking at it. Or look at the altitude reported by ForeFlight on your iPhone versus on your iPad (assuming you have the iPad GPS model. Right now, the iPhone is showing 533 MSL and up to ±70 FPM, while the iPad is showing 570 MSL and up to ±100 FPM. Doesn't sound like much, but that is with both of them sitting stationary on a desk. That's the GPS elliptical error in action! Try it yourself.) NEVER trust GPS altitude with your life on the line – like in the clouds!

[FYI – while sitting here finishing the note, I noticed that both iPhone and iPad are now showing significantly different altitudes than before: iPad is showing 389' MSL, and iPhone is 569' MSL. That's an amazing difference for stationary objects on the same desk!]

Explanation of WHY Pressure Altitude is used for ATC reporting instead of Kohlsman-Adjusted Indicated Altitude:

Let's assume you took off from a high-pressure area (altimeter setting of 30.42 in Hg), and you don't realize you are flying into a lower-pressure area (let's assume 29.42 in Hg). You don't know this, so you fail to adjust your altimeter setting as you enter the low-pressure area. You're impacted by the old "High to Low, Look out below!" warning. When you fly from a high-pressure area into a lower pressure area, your actual altitude above the ground will be lower than indicated. The actual difference in altitude is approximately 1,000 feet for every inch of pressure change. ATC would see your "indicated altitude" readout of 8,000 feet (with incorrect altimeter setting), and believe you had 1000 ft of clearance to another aircraft crossing at an indicated 7,000 ft (with the correct altimeter setting). But when you factor in the altimeter setting error in your airplane, you're both at the same exact altitude!

Using "Pressure Altitude" reporting at all times eliminate the issue. The encoders in both aircraft are reporting Pressure Altitude, and ATC is adjusting that to MSL altitude. Whatever offset ATC is using for that adjustment is applied to both planes in that same airpace, and thus there is no significant difference (other than altimeter error or encoder error) to be concerned about.

Sorry for the long-winded reply. Hopefully that helps explain, and may even bring back some memories from your ground school training.

Joesf

Thank you Jim .The ap for the slybeacon reports both . The pressure alt one is within 20 feet its the GPS one I’m speaking of.
The other read puts get closer to actual the longer they sit.( I’m not talking about iPhones and iPads I’m comparing to garmin aviation )This one doesn’t appear to. I don’t think it’s a big deal, just wondering why .But yes the pressure altitude is correct.

Last edited:

Bob Turner

Yes. Glad you posted that. I wasn't sure what ADS-B did, because GPS can get actual altitude.

It is very dangerous to fly either GPS altitude or transponder readout altitude. I have otherwise smart students who make that mistake way too often. Use your altimeter only for assigned altitudes, for all the reasons Jim posted and more.

Joesf

Jim , Bob,the reported gps altitude can only be read when on the ground right after the skybeacon is turned on. Once you start rolling you don’t see that information anymore.
As you point out we fly by altimeter settings, the others won’t agree with ATC or anyone else for that matter as this discussion shows , unless we are all using a properly calibrated altimeter and correct setting.
The skyBeacon lat Lon are right on the way.
As far as actual altitude from the gps, no.

Joesf

Jim Bob,

I received a response from skyBeacon .
“The skyBeacon does not report AMSL. it reports height above ellipsoid per FAA requirements for ADS-B. ”

The rest of this post is purely for academics.

As you can see it’s definitely different than MSL. GPS altitude is based on the World Geodetic System 1984 WGS 84.

Excerpt below from this link.

(Actually even coordinates are time sensitive due to continental drift. But let’s stick elevations).

https://www.esri.com/news/arcuser/0703/geoid1of3.html

Differing Measurements
GPS has transformed how altitude at any spot is measured. GPS uses an ellipsoid coordinate system for both its horizontal and vertical datums. An ellipsoid—or flattened sphere—is used to represent the geometric model of the earth.

click to enlarge
The surface of global undulations was calculated based on altimetric observations and very precise (up to two centimeters) measurements taken from the TOPEX/POSEIDON satellite. This data was represented in the Earth Geodetic Model (EGM96), which is also referred to as the spherical harmonic model of the earth's gravitational potential.
Conceptually, this precisely calculated ellipsoid, called an oblate ellipsoid of revolution, was intended to replicate the MSL as the main geodetic reference or vertical datum. If this ellipsoid vertical datum is used, height above the ellipsoid will not be the same as MSL and direct elevation readings for most locations will be embarrassingly off. This is caused, in part, because the GPS definition of altitude does not refer to MSL, but rather to a gravitational surface called the reference ellipsoid. Because the reference ellipsoid was intended to closely approximate the MSL, it was surprising when the two figures differed greatly.

The TOPEX/POSEIDON satellite, launched in 1992, was specifically designed to perform very precise altimetric observations. These measurements have demonstrated that neither human error nor GPS inaccuracies are responsible for the sometimes substantial discrepancies between ellipsoid and MSL measurements. In fact, the three-dimensional surface created by the earth's sea level is not geometrically correct, and its significant irregularities could not be mathematically calculated; this explains the difference between the ellipsoid-based GPS elevation readings and elevations shown on accurate topographic maps.

A brief examination of elevation readings for Esri headquarters in Redlands, California, demonstrates these differences. The campus elevation is shown on topographic quadrangle maps and high-resolution digital elevation models (DEMs) for the area as approximately 400 meters above MSL. However, a precise, nonadjusted GPS reading for the same location typically shows the elevation as 368 meters.

click to see enlargement
The map shows the areas of the globe that would have a sea level below the theoretical surface of the WGS84 ellipsoid, or the theoretical and geometrically correct sea level (shown in blue). The sharp contrast between the blue and green indicates where the ellipsoid and geoid intersect. With the continents displayed as opaque, the remaining area covered by water reveals where sea level is actually at zero elevation relative to the WGS84 ellipsoid.
Why is there a 32-meter difference? The GPS receiver uses a theoretical sea level estimated by a World Geodetic System (WGS84) ellipsoid, which does not perfectly follow the theoretical MSL. The MSL, approximated by an ellipsoid, is related to gravity or the center of mass of the earth. Discrepancies between a WGS84 ellipsoid, and the geoid vary with location. To continue with this example, elevation readings for Yucaipa, a city located less than 10 miles east of Redlands, differ by 31.5 meters.

Conti