Slick Mag Harness Complete vs Right/Left side

Big Ed

N50247 - '79 Super D
Got a call from my A&P. Mag harness is cracked, needs to be replaced.

IMG_20210719_183507.jpg IMG_20210719_183513.jpg

When I look up the parts in the Champion application guide, it gives part M4001 as "complete harness" and M2992 as "right hand harness".

application.PNG

When I looked up those part numbers in Aircraft Spruce, the "complete harness" is substantially cheaper than buying the left and right harnesses separately.

right.PNG

complete.PNG

Based on that, seems to me the sensible decision is to go ahead and get the complete harness, even though the left side harness is fine. I went ahead and made the order.

Am I missing something here? Is there something I might not be getting with the complete harness kit?

Per some of my other posts, I plan to fly to Oshkosh. This order won't arrive until Thursday, which pushes me perilously close. So I don't want to receive it and then discover it is the wrong part, and not have enough time to get the right part before my trip is blown.

Last edited:

Big Ed

N50247 - '79 Super D
Why not repair that end and replace it later, remove some presssure?
No idea ... wasn't one of the options presented to me.

However, another option was to borrow a harness from them, then replace later. So that will be my fallback option if the parts that come in Thursday are wrong.

Bob Turner

Find an old lead with good end. These things are not difficult to fix - some are easier than others, but all are relatively simple.

Older harnesses needed special ferrules and ratcheting crimp tools. Newer ones are simple hand tools. Often involve a press fit ferrule for the shield.

Big Ed

N50247 - '79 Super D
Kit was the correct left and right harnesses plus brackets. Installed and running now. Pics later today.

If I had a do over with time to research, I would look at the Kelly harnesses. Cost 50% less and reportedly better quality.

Have run into that problem several times when making decisions while AOG and trying to get flying quickly. If you just pull the part number off the plane and search Spruce, you don't get competing alternatives that might be better and cheaper. Same thing hai with alternator ... I missed a good opportunity to upgrade to Plane Power.

Sully

From what I understand Kelly is a hit or miss in quality. I've had pretty good luck but one of the overhauled Bendix mags I got had the P-lead grounding tab broken inside the mag.

20190319_122023.jpg20190319_123049.jpg

Last edited: