Spin Training

Bob Turner

Well-known member
I thought this might start some conversation, which is why I choose here instead of Supercubdotorg:

A Cub student is going to Texas to a CFI school. They told him to get spin training first. So, sure, but if you want multiple turns and really wound up, not me. That was ok.

Without looking at the regs, I figured a simple entry saying we had done entries and recoveries both ways would do it. That was the requirement in the olden days.

So we did it. Then , looking at the required endorsement, it turns out that they no longer want that. They want a certification that the student is competent to instruct in alow flight, stalls, incipient stalls stall recognition, and all those same words for the spins. We are talking two hours of that, not a spin entry and recovery in both directions.

But you recent instructors already knew that, I bet. How many standard size logbooks will it take to properly recommend a CFI candidate? I have no idea.

Clifford Daly

Well-known member
The endorsements for a cfi applicant are out of hand! Just too many of them giving more of a chance to mess one up.

There’s a lot of discussion about that endorsement and the wording of being an “authorized instructor.” The general agreement is that an authorized instructor must be a plus 2 year cfi since the endorsement is not only teaching about spins but getting the cfi applicant to the level of teaching spin awareness and recovery. I don’t agree with it but if I had a cfi applicant I would just call the fsdo and ask.

Fully developed spins are a key part to spin training in my eyes. The more you turn, the worse it gets, the harder it is to get out of it. But everyone I work with gets comfortable enough that when we finish our flights, the easiest way to loose altitude, let’s do a spin! It becomes a non scary event for pilots and is less intimidating.

Bob Turner

Well-known member
Yes. I agree. But I do not do them, which is why I turn down the local schools. The last time I did a three turn spin was during my PP checkride (we also did a loop, and a shot of whiskey at the signing ceremony). I do contest quality 3/4 turn spins.

The guy who wound up doing spin training for our local schools is no longer with us. NTSB has yet to report, but the debris field was postage stamp size on a landable farm field.
Bob , I know I could look this up but what qualifications does it take to become a CFI ? I'm sure I don't have enough time or training but have considered giving tail wheel training in the future. I'm not suggesting I'm capable yet but I really enjoy it. It seems there is always someone wanting to take a ride in a tail wheel and always wanting to fly one . Thanks.

Bob Turner

Well-known member
That was the point. The requirements have taken a giant leap forward since I was a real flight instructor (I now only resemble one).

We used to endorse a logbook "OK for checkride". Now for a private license there are seven distinct and different signoffs, and you dare not deviate by so much as a comma.

The one that gets me where it counts? We have to make an entry that says: "you know those three hours of dual instruction I signed off within the last 90 days? I hereby verify that I did sign them." The words are more officious than that, but essentially it is a duplicate entry.

And the one about "on, in, to, from, over, around, and through class - airspace? There are three redundant signoffs that sort of say that. What a colossal waste of words.

Best to go to part 65 and make yourself a very complicated list. Give it to your CFI in paste-in format.