Strobe power supply

Goodyear

Any idea where to find the strobe power supply. I have the wingtip light fixtures but no cockpit switch and have no idea where to start looking.

Bob Turner

Mine is the same vintage, and the Whelen supply is on the firewall behind the header tank. Very difficult to get to.

aftCG

Edit: scratch my earlier post My Whelen strobes power supply is on the aft side of the firewall up above my left foot.
Anyone reasonably ambulatory could reach it.

(The other box I referred to is a Plane Power voltage regulator)

Last edited:

Goodyear

Thanks, I have no box’s on the cockpit firewall side. It may have been removed when they replaced the panel and never reinstalled. Will look for wires from the nav lights-which do work.

aftCG

Are you sure you have strobes? My nav lights and strobes have independent switches on the overhead panel.
The wires from the strobes have connectors that look a lot like phone cables (uh, back when phones used a cord that came out of the wall).

The power supply is a box about the size of a good thick sandwich. Theoretically it could be anywhere in the furball behind the panel. Could be on the forward face of the firewall or in the back of the plane where my battery and ELT are.

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
I may be wrong but I believe that there are single and double power supplies. If you have one power supply that powers two strobe fixtures then it's a double. My Citabria had single supplies and they were each mounted to the side of the second to last rib in each wing. There was a large aluminum panel crafted into the fabric under the tip where you could access them.
There are going to be a lot of perfectly good used units as LEDs continue to replace the filament style lights so prices should be coming down. I gave my light fixtures and power supplies away to a person that helped with the project.

aftCG

I may be wrong but I believe that there are single and double power supplies. If you have one power supply that powers two strobe fixtures then it's a double. My Citabria had single supplies and they were each mounted to the side of the second to last rib in each wing. There was a large aluminum panel crafted into the fabric under the tip where you could access them.
There are going to be a lot of perfectly good used units as LEDs continue to replace the filament style lights so prices should be coming down. I gave my light fixtures and power supplies away to a person that helped with the project.
Good point. Mine are actually triple strobes because the white light in the rudder is a strobe also.

Used "old school" strobes probably will come up quite a bit for those adopting the wing tip ADS-B out solution. When I was still debating what route to take. Mine work very well so I was reluctant to let them go. And running with one disconnected (so you could run the ADS-B on the nav light) is specifically placarded against on the power supply. At the time they hadn't developed the other wing light yet so I decided to spend my AMUs differently.

Goodyear

I will look out by the wing tips. There is a box in the tail near the battery. The wingtip lights have a strobe in them, with filament. My overhead panel was replaced and no strobe switch exists, although there is a place for one. Thanks for the tips.

Goodyear

Discovered the issue. The power supply was on the inside firewall but was removed by a prior owner. Then when the new panel was installed they did not wire a switch. I have ordered the Whelan 650 led lights and will use the Aux switch for the strobe.