8KCAB Super Decathlon Battery

EJWash

Sooo... I had time to take my plane around the patch a few times today. Although, initially, it did not look like that was gonna happen. Two-blades passed through during start, and then nothing. Another attempt - same. 48-degrees OAT, Mags and Master OFF (ask me how many time I checked that) pulled the prop through at least ten blades. After a few more attempts, success.

AEIO-320 (constant speed prop).

The question: The Marine Community enjoys deep-crank batteries (high amperage) COLD starting power. Does the aviation community? Or, is this even a "thing"?

Hygenisis

My plane had a Gill that was being babied by the former owner. He and I discussed the lengths he went to to keep the old girl on life support.Tested it and it was SHOT. New battery came with a fresh charge, game changer. Starts now first crank, hot or cold. $295, just bite the pillow and update.

Bob Turner

Batteries are changing. I have been using the Concord RG 35 AX with success. Super Cubs are using the less expensive Odyssey PC-680. My neighbor reports good results with EarthX in his Columbia. We are getting 60-75 starts in the non-electric J3s with a PC-545.

EJWash

battery tenders are also a good idea, especially in the winter if you're not flying a lot.
My Decathlon is living in an "open air hanger", in other words a carport (planeport?) No electrical available. My next-door neighbor has a solar panel plugged into his plane's ground power receptacle.

EJWash

Just went through the Aircraft Logbook. According to the latest entry, the battery is a Concorde RG-35AXC installed November 14, 2017. I have not had eyes on as of yet.

Last edited:

Bob Turner

Should be ok - we get 8-10 years out of Concordes. Unless they let it sit discharged.

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
So what is the lightest weight, approved battery that actually lasts and cranks a -360 ok for an 8KCAB?

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
Is this the one?

How do you satisfy the venting requirements when our new style battery boxes are unvented?

Bob Turner

Don't know. Search Supercub dot org? They are on top of this. Not sure the EarthX needs venting?

Tangogawd

Just so you know, just because something is PMA, does not mean it is approved for use in your aircraft. Speaking with my PMI, I've been told they WILL NOT field approve this battery yet. However, EarthX, I believe, has STC'd the battery in 182, so more may be coming.

Lets hope ACA starts installing these!

I personally don't care, this is right there with LED landing lights for me (why the hell do I need an STC?), but just wanted to let you know so you don't get caught with your pants down! I think its going to be a thing the FAA inspectors look for, like Catto props

Bob Turner

AC 43-13-2B Chapt 10 covers a lot of battery stuff. It suggests that non-TSO batteries are a possibility in two different places. It does not address Lithium Iron Phosphate yet.
The nice thing about this AC is that, under some circumstances it can be used as approved data for major alterations.