Citabria Take off performance

Markincanada

Hi All. New to the group and in the market for a Citabria. I am going to be looking at a 1972 7ECA with a 115hp. I have a grass strip that is 1600’ with obstacles. Looking for advice from those who have experience. I’m not sure if I should hold out until I come across something with a few more ponies or can I make this work. I am in Ontario, Canada which has some really hot summer days… 30C. I don’t need to operate a fuel fuel but I’d like to know I can put a buddy in with me instead of having to pick him up at the local airport. Thanks, Mark

Ron86654

www.advancedtailwheeltraining.com
I think that might be marginal. In my 7ECA 115, warm day nearly full fuel, 2100' grass with big trees at the end. We were anxious as we approached the trees, We made it but it was tight.

Cowboys Air Ranch 84ME

Howdy Mark, and Welcome to our group.

I own the exact same aircraft, 1972 7ECA w/ 115hp Lycoming. My airstrip is 1600ft usable right now, usually 2100ft, but I am doing some major reconstruction. It is not level, more like a rolling hill.

In the summer when it gets to 80F I take off with only half tanks, and use a good 1200ft to break ground, and climb out is only 300-400 feet per minute. I actually have never taken off with my wife from here as I am not really sure it would make it. I go the the local paved airport 20 miles away and pick her up there. I have trees at the end and warm days like this summer I really wish for more ponies.

Winter is another story. Breaks ground in 600-700ft, climbs 600 feet per minute. Should be no problem with a passenger, taking off from a small grass runway in cold temps. One thing I did find is that static RPM is only 2300RPM, so maybe you are getting 90hp, and less in the summer. Tried to get my propeller repitched lower, but no luck. They did not want to repitch without an overhaul. Only 1 propeller certified for that aircraft/engine combination.

My plane is relatively light, but still anemic. I plan on the 180hp conversion in the future possibly. That would make it a great performer on take off and climb, but sorry to say, no help on landing.

Hope my views help you decide.

Ken "COWBOY" Winiarski
Cowboys Air Ranch (84ME)

Bob Turner

I think you need a Cub. I don't remember much about the 115, but I got my neighbor his license in one, and found that two of us, full fuel, and 90 degrees at 500' msl airports it was never a problem. I was (am) 195 and he was 230.
Delightful airplane, considering.

Markincanada

Hey Bob… yes, it’s a great airplane with a great wing. Presently, I am flying my friend’s super cub and it has a 180 in it. A notch of flaps and it is airborne right away and climbs like a homesick angel. Sadly, it’s not mine and they are big $$. One thing about the Citabria is it’s so roomy and great for doing the odd loop. Cheers, Mark

Bob Turner

You need to fly a lightweight 160 Cub. They make the Charlie Charlie Cubs feel like schoolbuses. They do go straight up, but after that they are just heavy!

A 160 Citabria is a truly nice airplane. Not sure the ground roll is significantly shorter, but once airborne you do go up!