Things are slow - so it's a good time to grumble

Bob Turner

No - there was some special deal for these new attitude indicators. See definitions for major alterations - lots of wiggle room, but not for landing gear. Oratex might be STC'd.

Bob Turner

Today the city called the tower to complain about a Cub flying within 25 feet of a crane. Probably me; I get clearances for early crosswinds, and that crane is about 300’ south of the runway, going up 150 feet. I am sure I got within 100 feet of it.

I suppose I shall hear from the FSDO - not sure I remember the distance regulation that applies to cranes on crosswind.

Different crane from the one I mentioned at the top. That one has been replaced by a yellow outhouse on top of a 3 story office building about a quarter mile out on final. I wonder if the reg on cranes applies to that outhouse? It sure looks like it is right smack in the middle of a Bonanza approach profile.

aftCG

25' is close enough to critique your fabric work.

If anyone has wondered why some of us don't love the idea of every flight we make being tracked and recorded forever, and used against us for purposes of enforcement action, this is why.

I've looked at plenty of my Flightaware tracks since installing ADS-B and seen that they don't represent my actual flight paths, so I have no faith they will absolve you in this case.

At two different class D airports in my area I've had controllers ask me for an early turn when I was just clear of the ground, so I gave them one. No complaints from tower.

In fact when I ferried the T-6 for annual recently I had my hangar neighbor fly my Citabria to pick me up. He took off right after me and the tower asked him for an early turn. He wasn't quite sure how to proceed, so he thought he should probably at least use up most of the runway.

They were a little perturbed that he waited even though he was only 800 AGL. They must have been expecting me at the controls.

Bob Turner

I turn immediately when the tower asks. I don't key the mike; they may have something going on. Just me.

There is a reg that says 500' from persons or property on the ground, but it says "except when taking off or landing." I am aware of no other distance regulation for cranes.

Explorer

How about scout gear, borer prop, Oratex covering? Or DIY spades?
Well , Saturday morning Hangar talk. Bumped into a fellow who has quite a bit of time on the Scout, from days gone by. Operating out of a 900' strip (ok?). Borer Prop and Vortex Generators on Wings and Tail[plane. His suggestion both are a must for the Scout if doing short field work.

Does anyone have experience with the Borer Prop on the Scout? And, Vortex Generators?

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
Well , Saturday morning Hangar talk. Bumped into a fellow who has quite a bit of time on the Scout, from days gone by. Operating out of a 900' strip (ok?). Borer Prop and Vortex Generators on Wings and Tail[plane. His suggestion both are a must for the Scout if doing short field work.

Does anyone have experience with the Borer Prop on the Scout? And, Vortex Generators?
I know one guy, the guy you were talking to in the previous post! Did you tell him about our forum here so he can come and weigh in whenever Scouts come up?

:):):)

Goodyear

I have a borer prop and vortex generators. I also have extended wingtips. You could easily land in a 900’ strip. But cruise speed suffers. 100.

Explorer

Goodyear,

What's the model number of the Borer? 82"/42? Have you lost about 15 Mph compared with the standard McCauley in cruise?

Thx.

Last edited:

Explorer

In terms of 2 Blade Fix Pitch, is the McCauley and Borer the only Props spec'd.

Have any of the Super Cub Owner's tried the following Sensenich Composite Props?

SENSENICH COMPOSITE PROPELLERS
CONSTRUCTION

-Birch wood plank core
-Fiberglass composite wrap
-CNC milled
-Stainless bonded or riveted leading edge
-Sealant and primer finished with two coates of Polane catalyzed polyurethane enamel paint

ADVANTAGES

-0-320 = 18 lbs (McCauley Borer - 34 lbs)
-0-360 = 18 lbs (McCauley Club - 44 lbs)
-Less vibration due to natural wood dampening
-Less engine damage from a prop strike (prop will break, not causing sudden engine stoppage)
-Fiberglass covering protects blade surface from FOD and erosion
-Certified composite prop

ALL SENSENICH PROPS ARE CUSTOM ORDERED TO YOUR SPECS. FOR PRICES AND ORDERING GIVE US A CALL AT 907-331-4480

Goodyear

You lose at least 15 mph in cruise. I don’t remember the 1st # but it is a 41.

Bob Turner

Things are pretty slow here, with no posts for several days? So to avoid approaching moribundity, let me post an e-mail I am hoping got forwarded to our tower:

We should get a new rule:

If you taxi up to the hold line, block a VFR departure, and then call for IFR release, you should get a taxi clearance down the runway to the nearest feasible exit, where you will get new taxi instructions. (Call back when you get the ATIS)

Two or three of these delays will get the word out in a hurry!

aftCG

Funny you should mention this. Last week I taxied out for takeoff and there was a flight school C172 and also a big box flight school (ATP) Seminole twin. The C172 had just turned for his run up which I knew would take longer than mine, and for SURE the Seminole would be a long time.

Once my run up was complete I decided to sit right where I was and call the tower. I had just switched to tower frequency and didn't want to assume that I was the first to check in, so I stated "ready to go in sequence, straight out departure" and received instructions to hold short.

Then the C172 checked in, but before he could move the ATP Seminole taxied up to the hold short line right in the middle. Only then did they switch frequencies and request departure. The C172 went around his left side and angled for the hold short line and I just sat still. Then tower cleared me for departure. I had to hug the grass to the right side and watch my left wing as it went over the top of the Seminole wing and well clear of his right prop.

There was enough room and no big deal. I'm hoping it was at least awkward for them though.

Bob Turner

Yes, I do that too. Pisses some people off. So far the FAA is not looking at excursions into grass while taxiing. That Semihole should have received taxi instructions - he would never forget that lesson. As it is, he has no idea, and will do it again.