Tight fuel caps

My ‘02 GCAA’s fuel caps are ridiculously tight - sometimes you need a strap wrench. I’ve tried DC4 and oil as a lube (very light coats), but they don’t last more than a few cycles. The Citabria I flew in the past was not anywhere this tight, but it was a ‘73. Any suggestions? Different gasket? Adjust the tangs on the cap?
TIA!

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
How long have you had the plane? Is it possible that there are two gaskets in the cap from a previous owner that wanted them super tight?
They are supposed to be air tight so there should be some tightness to them but not so much that it would require a strap wrench :eek:

Good point. We’ve only had the plane for a few months. I’ll check to make sure someone didn’t double-up the gaskets. I don’t think that is the case - I’m pretty sure I would have noticed - but I’ll check and report back.

MA Cantin,
That may be my next move. The caps are in perfect shape (always hangared, < 700 hours), but are obviously 17 years old and may have aged the gasket too much. The gaskets don't seem stiff, but I'll replace them, too.