Tight fuel caps

Lamboflyer

My ‘02 GCAA’s fuel caps are ridiculously tight - sometimes you need a strap wrench. I’ve tried DC4 and oil as a lube (very light coats), but they don’t last more than a few cycles. The Citabria I flew in the past was not anywhere this tight, but it was a ‘73. Any suggestions? Different gasket? Adjust the tangs on the cap?
TIA!

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
How long have you had the plane? Is it possible that there are two gaskets in the cap from a previous owner that wanted them super tight?
They are supposed to be air tight so there should be some tightness to them but not so much that it would require a strap wrench :eek:

Lamboflyer

Good point. We’ve only had the plane for a few months. I’ll check to make sure someone didn’t double-up the gaskets. I don’t think that is the case - I’m pretty sure I would have noticed - but I’ll check and report back.

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
There's that option too. :)

What is the correct lube for the gaskets? Isn't it silicone based?

Lamboflyer

MA Cantin,
That may be my next move. The caps are in perfect shape (always hangared, < 700 hours), but are obviously 17 years old and may have aged the gasket too much. The gaskets don't seem stiff, but I'll replace them, too.

MA Cantin

I figure it can’t hurt! Lol! Good luck and let us know how it worked out!

MA

Joesf

I have been wrapping a thin 8” band of 3m black friction tape around the circumference of the cap. It sticks well if you clean the cap with alcohol first and don’t touch it on the edge as you apply the tape. Lie the strip down on a flat surface and roll tne cap over it. The added friction added makes removing the cap easy. I do replace the gaskets periodically . That doesn’t help the tight cap issue though. It’s been that way since new.

Joesf

If your fuel caps are difficult to remove you can use a rubber gripper to remove them. I stumbled on this solution by chance after doing an oil change . It turns out the gasket on an a spin on oil filter such as a tempest aa-48109 or similar champion is the perfect inner diameter to fit snug over the cap and provide the grip needed. Just remove one from the base of an old oil filter , clean it with a bit of avgas and it’s ready to go.

Big Ed

N50247 - '79 Super D
What is the correct lube for the gaskets? Isn't it silicone based?
Mine were dry and fit fine. But recently an FBO lubed them while gassing up my bird on an XC leg. Thought it was rather bizarro that they did this without asking me, but I will say it seems to improve tank leveling in flight, do seem to make the fit a little more consistent. No idea what the goop is, but appears roughly the consistency of Vaseline.

Big Ed

N50247 - '79 Super D
If your fuel caps are difficult to remove you can use a rubber gripper to remove them. I stumbled on this solution by chance after doing an oil change . It turns out the gasket on an a spin on oil filter such as a tempest aa-48109 or similar champion is the perfect inner diameter to fit snug over the cap and provide the grip needed. Just remove one from the base of an old oil filter , clean it with a bit of avgas and it’s ready to go.
I used to use a pickle jar opener (rubber sheet). After I replaced the gaskets and especially after the FBO lubed them, that was not necessary any more.

DanO

That's the stuff but it has to go on both sides of the gasket to really be effective. About every six months if you're flying very much.
That’s what I used and it works great. One recent subsequent application after the initial six or eight months ago,