Citabria Trim handle slides back

kubark42

My trim lever won't stay put. When I push it forward, it very quickly works its way aft. This makes the plane really hard to fly consistently, since I can't set and forget the trim. I just finished a 5 hour flight where I had to hold the trim forward the entire time.

(Turns out the old joke "I just flew here and boy are my arms tired!" is based on reality.)

What can be done about this, and is it straightforward to do in the field?

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
there is a bolt that the trim lever pivots on, it is threaded into a nut that is welded to the frame. remove the cover panel and snug up the bolt a little bit. that should fix it.

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
also, there are two leather washers sandwiched in with the trim lever to create that draggy feel but the leather gets burnished smooth by the steel washers. if the leather washers haven't been worn thin you can lightly scuff them to give them some renewed bite so the bolt won't have to be as tight.

Last edited:

kubark42

also, there are two leather washers sandwiched in with the trim lever to create that draggy feel. the leather gets burnished smooth by the steel washers. if the leather washers haven't been worn thin you can lightly scuff them to give them some renewed bite so the bolt won't have to be as tight.
This is great advice. I constantly kvetch about how hard it is to smoothly change the trim, and tightening it up will just make it harder.

I found this post which shows how the cover panel is assembled: https://champcitabriadecathlonforum...-sensitive-and-overly-powerful.904/#post-8079

kubark42

juat keep in mind it might need a closer look if it is hard to move but also doesn't stay in place.
I'll pay attention to this, although I wouldn't say that it's hard to move, so much it is hard to move in tiny precise amounts. If it's properly set up, is it as easy to move tiny amounts as the throttle?

kubark42

20211125_133733.jpg

Got the throttle discs off, but the trim is going to be really hard I fear.

How is the wear on these? Moderate, new, or time to replace?

If the discs need replacing, it's there a better material than leather?

If they need replacing

Last edited: