Wanted: Decathlon CS Spinner

rjgritter

Hey all,

My spinner backplate recently cracked (good item to check carefully on preflights) so I'm in search of a replacement. Does anyone have a spinner to sell, maybe from a prop upgrade or just a spare laying around? I don't really need the dome, just the rear bulkhead, but I might take the whole thing for the right price.

Parts manual says the bulkhead is Hartzell P/N C-2469. The manual says it's the same part between the 150HP and 180HP airplanes, but ACA uses a different part number now. I'm fine with either as long as it fits!

RJ

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
RJ,

Have you tried going outside of the Citabria/Decathlon community for the part? Maybe a less specific GA used parts reseller? I'd post a wanted ad on Barnstormers also. Good luck, that's got to be frustrating!

champ guy

Hey all,

My spinner backplate recently cracked (good item to check carefully on preflights) so I'm in search of a replacement. Does anyone have a spinner to sell, maybe from a prop upgrade or just a spare laying around? I don't really need the dome, just the rear bulkhead, but I might take the whole thing for the right price.

Parts manual says the bulkhead is Hartzell P/N C-2469. The manual says it's the same part between the 150HP and 180HP airplanes, but ACA uses a different part number now. I'm fine with either as long as it fits!

RJ
Hello,
I went to mount my backplate on my Hartzell prop and the spacing does not seem correct. The four mounting bolts line up but, I believe the backplate would rub on the cowling with the required spacers. This prop was overhauled and was switched to a "B" hub. I do not know if that is the issue or if my project came with the wrong spinner. My airplane is a 150CS also. Have you found a backplate for your airplane?

Jeff

champ guy

This is an update on my spinner problem. Yesterday I called the excellent customer service guy at Hartzell propellor. I gave Rolf the tech my prop numbers and he knew immediately what the problem was. Since my airplane was last flown, the previous owner had sent the prop in for an overhaul and a conversion to a "B" hub. It turns out that the B hub has larger diameter blade mounting bosses than the "A" hub. This prevents the spinner bulkhead from being in the required position to allow clearance from the front of the cowling. Rolf sent a drawing showing the machine work necessary to allow the bulkhead to fit the "B" hub. K&K Precision machining in Wisconsin is doing the work and have done that to others before. They also do spinner and bulkhead welding. They are an FAA certified repair station.
I regret my long story long but, this may help someone else avoid sleepless nights.
Jeff

Bob Turner

I remember doing that by hand in 2003. At that time there was documentation with the hub outlining the pieces to be removed.