What's the secret to getting ACA parts ordered?

FlyingScot

160hp 7ECA
I bet I've called and left five voicemails now over the span of the last six weeks regarding ordering a replacement of everyone's favorite plastic vent hinge with the ACA parts department. How is everyone else getting anything out of them?

Canuck 7GCBC

Hello seasoned Citabria rebuilders! Does anyone know where I can source these cabin vents? Chad says they are no longer able to supply them. I thought I had found a manufacturer (snapventplastics.com) but they seem to have gone out of business.

Attachments

Decathlon 065

I bet I've called and left five voicemails now over the span of the last six weeks regarding ordering a replacement of everyone's favorite plastic vent hinge with the ACA parts department. How is everyone else getting anything out of them?
Hardware store piano hinge don’t tell anybody

Bob Turner

I don’t have vents exactly like those, but I do have a box of two clear ones. They appear bent over where the scoop is. Box says #A -2-100 Snapvent. Yours for postage.

I use a simpler version that has a bent circle, rotated by a small knob. Recommend that style.

Canuck 7GCBC

I don’t have vents exactly like those, but I do have a box of two clear ones. They appear bent over where the scoop is. Box says #A -2-100 Snapvent. Yours for postage.

I use a simpler version that has a bent circle, rotated by a small knob. Recommend that style.
Thanks Bob! I searched online and found the Snapvent models you have, but it appears the company is out of business. The style you recommend......where can I source them? Let me know, and if they are also not available I would be happy to acquire the ones you have ......
Send some pictures if you can. i would appreciate it.

bcone1381

I'm building an experimental and researched window vents a while ago. Maybe this will help you.

The Vista Vent is the rotating circle with a bent in it.

The Snap Vent manufacturer has a number of different styles. Hte first link is for the S/C spruce page with them listed. The second is the manufacturer catalog discription.

Bob Turner

I use the Vista Vent. My windows were never cut for the snap-vent, so I just used the flat plate as a template and carved the kidney-shaped hole in the window. 20 years later and all is ok.

Now that I look at them, my Snap-Vents appear to have heat damage - see where the lip goes downward where it should look like a scoop? I will check back before we do any expensive shipping.

Canuck 7GCBC

The vents I am looking for are not for installing in a window. They for the side of the cabin, near the pilot's knees. There are already 2" diameter holes there. Enlarging the hole to accommodate a different vent style is not impossible, but not easy either. So I am looking to replace the originals. One is lost and I have one that is not in good shape.

Attachments

Bob Turner

The Vista Vent needs a smaller hole. They supply a cover plate that screws on over the old hole. If you are sure you can use mine you will find a Vista Vent plate in the bottom of the box.

I will try to get a photo of what looks like heat damage. Same on both, so may be a design change.

Canuck 7GCBC

Everywhere I look it says the Vista Vent needs a 2.5" hole. So I'm confused. The pictures of it on Aircraft Spruce are not very helpful. And I cannot find a complete drawing with all the dimensions to give me any more information. Thinking maybe I need to order one to see what it actually is like, and if I can make it work without enlarging the 2" round hole in the side of the fuselage.

Bob Turner

Well maybe - but check out the Vista Vent base plate below. Bolts right over a 2” hole.

But the reason for the new photo is - note that these are 2 1/2” Snap-Vents, and have been bent over in a strange fashion.
If you still want them I will submit them tomorrow and get you a phone # for shipping payment.

Box says A-2-100 - one pair.
161D9021-89F3-45AC-907C-D8D7258D494C.jpeg

Bob Turner

Oops - not an expert. Maybe when you squeeze these down they fit a 2” hole and the curled down lip moves up?

Canuck 7GCBC

Ah! Now I understand what you mean with the Vista vent fitting over the 2" hole. I will try that first and hope it works. If they don't, I may then try your snap vents. They do appear a bit too large beside your caliper, but when squeezed maybe they do work for this application. Unfortunately it appears the company is out of business so there is no one there to talk to about this product.

Canuck 7GCBC

Hello again Bob. I would like to try the Snapvents you have. My AME is suggesting that is my best option at this time. Please let me know how to commence shipping. I will leave a message in your inbox.

Last edited: