Wheels and brakes

Bob Turner

Check with Grove. Not sure they are PMA for Champs, but boy, do they work good on the earlier mechanical brake aircraft.

Bob Turner

I have heel brakes in Cubs and toe brakes in the Decathlon. I prefer heel brakes by a mile! You might try getting used to them before doing a $6000 conversion.

Eric Brown

I've flown Citabrias with heel and toe brakes. I prefer the toe brakes by a mile. The conversion kit is $3100 without wheels & brakes. I'm scrounging for the wheels and brakes.

Bob Turner

Grove is significantly less than Cleveland. Their equivalent is just a shade under two grand for wheels and brakes. Plus, I think there is a little labor involved, including possibly welding. If you can do the installation yourself you will save a grand. Took me ten hours to install hydraulic heel brakes in a Champ, and no welding at all.

Eric Brown

Hey Bob;
I checked in at the Grove website. It appears that they do produce a good product, but it also appears that much of their product is presently aimed more at the EAB airplane group. Grove has very few PMA'd or STC'd items. I will be using the Aero Fabricators / Safe Air Repair STC SA507CH for the toe brakes using Wag Aero kit 41624K. This will be installed on my current basket case 7AC. It is interesting to note that the toe brake 507CH STC "Limitations and Conditions" #1. states; "this approval applies to the above models equipped with Cleveland, or FAA approved compatible, wheels and hydraulic brakes ". "FAA approved compatible" would mean a PMA'd or STC'd item. There are none from Grove for the 7 or 8 series.

Two possible ways around this would be to use a different wheel and brake system that would be more than adequate for the job and use AC23-27 (substitution of parts) or get an FAA approved "deviation" to the STC as your approval basis. However, the FAA frowns on this when existing approvals are available. STC SA34CH is the approval for Cleveland wheels and brakes on the 7 series airplanes, when not previously equipped.

Also, my 7AC is undergoing FAA field approval evaluation for a proposed Citabria landing gear leg conversion. To keep the compatibility of multiple approved design changes simplified, I will continue to look for used Cleveland products. But, I have to admit, the 40-28D wheel is used on very few airplanes and the 30-19A brake is exclusively American Champion. Tough scrounging.

Everything written above is subject to change.

Attachments

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
The factory has been using Grove wheels/brakes/axles and gear legs for years now so they are approved but you have to buy them from ACA, Grove won't sell direct to owners for ACA aircraft.

Welding only applies to the Grove aluminum gear legs (vs. ACA/Bellanca/Champion steel gear legs) which are thicker and require the fabric attach tubes to be changed to have more room for the legs to pass through.

Last edited:

Kmcaero

I have a complete set of those wheels, new discs and calipers off a citabria if your still looking. I could send you pics.

Bob Turner

There you go. Done.

But “FAA Approved” also applies to a field approved setup.

Did not know that Grove was not selling to Champ owners. There is an FAR that says a manufacturer cannot offer a part that is not approved for installation on a certificated airplane, so perhaps that is part of it. You can still get a field approval last time I checked.

Good idea with the gear legs. I am using the aluminum ones on my Decathlon - in my opinion far superior to the steel.

Bob Turner

No - I have a lot of 180 time, but never owned one. I have been in and out of MSP many, many times in A-320s. And once in Anoka in my Cub, and once in Flying Cloud in a Mooney to attend Marcia McNutt's wedding. I walked across that railroad bridge - the neat stone arch deal. Minneapolis was a good overnight.

Eric Brown

A different BT. There was a BT manager at the MSP FSDO 40 yrs ago. Having worked as a mechanic at several FBO's on KFCM and having met him once, I'd thought I'd check if you were him. Thanks

Tangogawd

I believe Grove got a hard slap years ago from the feds for selling parts for approved airplanes. As did B & C for their tiny alternators. They would offer previously approved 337s to go with the parts for a basis for field approvals.

If Grove smells any 'certified' wiff they will not sell you anything. They make a beautiful wheel and brake kit for taylorcrafts, and I've done a few. But, I have to have a signed 337 from the feds and send it to them for proof before they sell the kit.

I get it, the feds wield a heavy hammer.

TBook

I have a complete set of those wheels, new discs and calipers off a citabria if your still looking. I could send you pics.
Have these wheels and brakes been sold? If they are still available please send me a pm with price and pic's. Thanks.