Citabria Windshield to wing root fairing/seal?

B737jenkins

I’m pretty sure that’s not a correct name, but the black rubber seal on the top of the windshield, where it meets the wing, on our 7ECA is pulling away on one side. It looks like it’s just held down with an adhesive. Any ideas on how this is attached? Best method to re-secure?

Thanks...

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
Mine don't have adhesive, there are industrial strength staples along the piece, some have pulled out, I'll post a photo when I'm home later

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
The staples look like they are installed with a machine of some sort since they are very uniform. I have tried to remove one but they are very strong steel, I could barely bend one without really going at it with pliers.

IMG_20191109_112759007.jpgIMG_20191109_112825650.jpgIMG_20191109_112809265.jpgIMG_20191109_112833609.jpg

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
It doesn't, the faring screws to the flange of the root rib (through the fabric) and the rubber seal pushes against the surface of the windshield. I think one or two screws also attach the fairing to the fuselage just aft of the top of the windshield.

B737jenkins

Gotcha. Ours is a bit loose and has a gap between the seal and the windshield. It had adhesive used at some point in the past.

aftCG

No extra goop between the black rubber and the plexiglass in my plane. Let's just say I don't expect it to be water tight when flying in rain. It keeps me from being disappointed.

I've always thought that whole cheesy sheet metal fairing, the use of fabric covering at the wing root - oh and the headliner that is literally the first thing attached to a bare frame (and therefore not replaceable by mere mortals) were the only lame parts of the aircraft.

That could be SO much better.

Last edited:

volvo164

Laszlo
I put a bead of silicone sealant on the windshield (under the rubber seal) to divert water from the opening.