Citabria Windshield

Bob Turner

You might need Bart's help getting rid of your duplicate posts. I bet it would help you get responses.

I have not replaced a Champ windshield, but note that there are two different configurations for the Decathlon, one requiring wing removal!.

Here is what the manual says, p.4-6:
A. Remove wing-fuselage forward gap covers.
B. Remove screws fron side and top retainer strips at rear edges of retainer.
C. Remove windshield.

Installation is p. 4-19 - too long to type, but essentially the reverse. You might want to get a copy . . .

Bob Turner thanks for the reply. Sorry for the duplicate posts, I was to impatient I guess. Posted twice and didn’t see either one then all three showed up. I tried to delete them but couldn’t make it work. Bart if you can help the first two can be deleted.
I do have a service manual that makes it sound straightforward but having been elbow deep in ag equipment to many times, sometimes things are not what they seem. Just wondering what others have experienced.

Clifford Daly

I didn’t replace but I took mine out and reinstalled it. Pretty straight forward. Just need two people to make it easier and the directions are pretty good.

I’m not 100% sure about the windshield but I know you have to cut and drill every other piece of glass but the windshield is probably the same. It’s one expensive cut!

I didn’t replace but I took mine out and reinstalled it. Pretty straight forward. Just need two people to make it easier and the directions are pretty good.

I’m not 100% sure about the windshield but I know you have to cut and drill every other piece of glass but the windshield is probably the same. It’s one expensive cut!
Thanks for the info. Mine is getting to the point where it is hard to see going into the sun, after 40yrs I think it’s time.

Norcal

I have a 1965 ECA that I am restoring. Going to install new windshield. Would the service manual for later Citabrias be a good guide?

Bob Turner

I bet it is easier on early birds. Later on you have to remove the wings on a Decathlon.
Pay attention to how the upper window is attached.

Norcal

My understanding is that there is no service manual for the Champion years, like 1965. Do you think a 1974 and on service manual would work?

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
it isn't attached along the front fairing, right? it's just tucked in behind the strip along the front? i was told it's pretty well formed so it holds its shape when removed making it pretty easy, I'd guess, to get the new one in. but, that's coming from a guy that thought rebuilding the wings, cover, and paint would take about four months.....a year and a half ago!

good luck!

Bruce

That’s pretty funny four or five months,, I thought the same thing when I started then life got in the way. I have heigh hopes to finish early next year. So like you I planed on months now I’ll be happy in one year. I only planed on simple recover. But nothing is simple.

Norcal

Yeah, Bartman, I got the project without the windshield in place. Have a new one. Does anyone have a picture of the top and bottom of the windshield in place that shows how it is held in or intersects? It is shaped well. Also. Anyone know if the 1974 and on service manual would cover most of the airframe stuff on a 1965 ECA as it was mostly unchanged throughout the years except for minor panel mods

Bob Turner

If you are truly motivated, six months will do it. In 1971 I did a spar replacement and complete cover in four months flat. Working during the day and singles bars at night. I really wanted to fly. The J3 is somewhat easier than a Champ . . .