Wing rib construction

Eric Brown

Would anyone happen to know when Champion Aircraft stopped using the .020" thick stamped wing ribs and went to the .032" stamped ribs ?

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
Which aircraft are you talking about? I understand the earlier Decathlons had the thin aluminum ribs and there was an AD requiring doublers be riveted to every rib but I wasn't aware it was an issue on other models.

Eric Brown

The standard 4412 airfoil stamped .020" aluminum ribs were used starting with the first 7AC. It seems as the models progressed, the wing construction did not change as indicated in Champion service letters 56, conversion from 7AC to 7EC, letter 60, conversion from 7EC to 7GC, which had progressive gross weight increases from 1220 to 1650 lbs and using the same wing. Some time in the 1960s, Champion went to a .032" stamped aluminum rib. Does anyone know which 7 series model first used these thicker ribs?

Eric Brown

My question has been answered thru the courtesy of fellow member Kmcearo. Bellance service letter 85, dated 2-5-68 states "since approximately October 1967, wing ribs are changed from 0.020-in to 0.032-in aluminum".

Last edited:

Hiperbiper

So Champion Aircraft Corporation made the switch prior to Bellanca getting the TC...
I would have bet money Bellanca changed it...they changed so many other things (mostly for the better).