8KCAB Could use some help! Anyone have an idea??

aviator2204

So I am purchasing a new (to me) 1976 Decathlon and I have an issue. The circuit breakers are not labeled and I have no clue which one goes to what component. This wouldn’t be a huge deal if they were the push/pull type, but they aren’t. Anyone have a similar breaker layout. The aircraft has the basics and nothing added avionics wise. Thanks!

Attachments

Bob Turner

Mine is 1977, and has fuses. I could take a picture . . .

For now, guess at it. The 10 amp fuses are probably lights and radio. Turn on all the lights and radio, pop them one at a time, and watch what goes out.

All that is left is the stall warning and alternator field. The rest have to be spares.

There should be a really big breaker protecting everything - say, 50 amps?

aviator2204

Bob,
Thanks for the reply! A picture would probably help out a lot. Are these type fuses able to be pulled/ popped? I was under the impression they can not be manually tripped. Isolating each one would be an easy way to label them if I could pull or trip them individually.

Joe

If all else fails, the wiring likely has numbered tags that you can match up with the schematic. It is a bit tight behind there to get a look at though.

Bob Turner

I forgot to get a photo. Maybe mañana?

Oops! Got busy and forgot. Tomorrow . . .

Last edited:

Hiperbiper

While these type of CB's aren't "pullable" they can be tripped by grounding the CB Itself.
Take your panel down, take a piece of wire (a probe wire off your ohm meter works good) and ground each CB by touching the OUTPUT side of each the breaker to ground. Note what stops working then reset the CB.
Chris

aviator2204

Thank you all for the replies! I may end up pulling it down and grounding it, then order a placard for them! I’ve been busy closing on the plane so it should be mine tomorrow!!

Bob Turner

That sounds extreme. Just review the rules for communications failure, then simply fly it while you research. If something shorts and a breaker does not pop, turn the master off and proceed as if you had a radio failure. If you know what you are doing, the average tower controller will love you for showing the newbie controllers how to handle the light gun signals.

And Light Guns have progressed - you no longer have to guess whether it is a green light or a reflection of the sun.