Homemade Spades?

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
Was wondering, my 7ECA has spades and they're off the plane. If I were to weld up a new set based on measurements from my set could I use my STC paperwork to justify the new spades being installed on a different plane?

Thanks!

Bob Turner

You cannot use STC paperwork on any airplane the STC holder has not approved in writing. You may be able to duplicate them and install them on an airplane that has already received permission from the holder under " owner fabricated parts."

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. If the STC said 7ECA, GCAA, and KCAB could I manufacture a set and put them on a GCAA or would I need the STC holder to authorize it in writing because every installation needs their blessing?
Thanks Bob

aftCG

If you get that far let me know. I have completely reverse engineered the Olin Pash spades right down to the aero extrusion and could fabricate dead ringers that Olin himself would have a hard time identifying

Last edited:

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
Do you have a price in mind? :love::love::love:

I'm not sure what I have on my 7ECA but they're sitting on the table saw in my garage. Will have to look in my logs tomorrow.

Last edited:

Bob Turner

Guys:
An STC must be approved in writing for each serial/N number aircraft. The only ones not like that are the fabric STCs - they expressly give everyone permission to use their STC if they use their materials.

You cannot transfer an STC from one aircraft to another, even if you own both of them. Cannot.

Taildrager

I don't mean to go out of bounds here . But with regards to stc . I might have made a mistake in buying a set of Whelen nav lights with the control box . 300.00 the guy that had them was representing an estate that wanted a home built aircraft completely dismantled . What will I have to do to use them on my 7eca ? Thanks

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
Bob, I was talking about using the old STC to apply for a new application of the STC to a different airplane, I was talking about using the STC information as the data to justify a 337 for the spades as a field alteration. Or something like that, I don't really know what I'm talking about but I'm trying! lol

I have an old friend that is the FAA MX head at a FSDO, I should call him today and ask about this........will report back. :)

Bob Turner

On the Whelen strobes - look up the definition of minor alteration. If that doesn't fit, then simply purchase the STC from Whelen, if they sell it separately.

On the spades - FAA policy is to not issue field approvals for STC installations. Protects the intellectual property of the STC holder. Might be different if the STC has been "orphaned."

Check with your FAA buddy - if an inspector is willing to stamp block 3, you own the approval no matter what the policy. You may luck out.

aftCG

Guys:
An STC must be approved in writing for each serial/N number aircraft. The only ones not like that are the fabric STCs - they expressly give everyone permission to use their STC if they use their materials.

You cannot transfer an STC from one aircraft to another, even if you own both of them. Cannot.
The one I used to mount 8.50x6 tires is also open ended, and if Concorde had one for installing their battery I wouldn't be shocked (no pun intended).

Since we're talking spades here I'll expand a bit. The ones everyone wants to find are Olin Pash spades. About two years ago a good friend of mine handed me a set he wasn't using (plane in pieces) and furnished me with paperwork. Said paperwork was of course for a different plane. Bob is quite right, you can't just sell some parts and papers to another bloke and he now has the STC. You can't even pull them off your own plane and put them on your other own plane.

The story I heard was that Olin got tired of being poked by "the man" and stopped producing/supporting his design. I considered contacting him about transferring the STC to my plane and I even had his phone number in my hand. Then I thought he probably gets calls from dorks like me on a weekly basis and maybe I should just leave him alone.

Odd timing of this story: The spades I had sat in my hangar this entire time, and just today I shipped them (and their paperwork) back to my friend who loaned them to me.

I'm quite serious that I reverse engineered Olin's work. I thought of knocking off a set and working with a DER to get an installation approved, or possibly even develop a new STC for them. My day job has more to do with certification than burning fuel so it's not like I'm unprepared for the battle. My Citabria was used to develop two engine installations which were STC'd "back in the day", and was registered as Experimental for a while (still shows that in some FAA database searches).

Bob Turner

Mine are Rolly Cole, I think. Big advantage is that they are inboard where they will not open your skull every six months.
Stock are outboard - I am sure they are on the type cert, so those could be owner produced.

It would be way cheaper to purchase the Pash STC than to get a new one - probably an order of magnitude. Then multiply your selling price by the number of likely customers - economic loser either way?