2026 WENT FLYING TODAY! ***PICTURES/VIDEO THREAD***

Took the wife to The Big Easy yesterday for some shrimp and grits.

Now we're waiting to get the stupid 25hr Battery Corrosion insp signed off. Shouldn't even be needed with a SLAB installed IMO.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20260914_204504.webp
    IMG_20260914_204504.webp
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
I agree. But surely you have an A&P buddy who would glance in there and sign?
And why hasn't anybody applied for an AMOC for gel cells? Surely there is data that would make the engineers happy?
Surely . . .
 
Ioneater, I recommend you look up that AD and read it yourself, and in particular paragraph C ). It may no longer apply to you.
 
Hah! I had forgotten about that!
So if your aircraft was delivered after 1973 without an approved vented box, you are out of luck!

AI suggests that field approvals have been done for sealed batteries - I tried to post the result, but it didn't make it. You can look it up on The Google.
 
From EarthX:
“This battery (vented) is designed so that in the event of all safety features in your aircraft failing, (extremely improbable)…the smoke produced in a thermal runaway is vented overboard.

You ask why does the FAA requires this (venting) in certified aircraft and the answer is simple, due to the Boeing incident, the FAA mandated via the policy level, that all lithium batteries, regardless of safety assessments or chemistry, (Boeing uses Lithium Cobalt) must be vented. Period.”

No such encumbrances for non-certified. Regulatory knee-jerk. No understanding of different chemistries used in 21st century batteries.
 
Hah! I had forgotten about that!
So if your aircraft was delivered after 1973 without an approved vented box, you are out of luck!

AI suggests that field approvals have been done for sealed batteries - I tried to post the result, but it didn't make it. You can look it up on The Google.
Prior to 1973, the battery sat in a tray.
I don't rely on AI. Too much false information.
 
Apologies all. I didn't mean to derail this otherwise wonderful thread with AD bitchin and moanin'. I'll continue over in the MX section!
 
Bart is pretty easy going - conversations are allowed anywhere. We want to avoid "forum police," yet be able to "carry on." Just picture your Friday evening beer session after everybody has landed - conversations always wander.

Sure, if this were a scientific symposium you might want to stay on topic - but this excursion is educational, and worth it.

My 1977 battery sits in a tray, with no overboard vent. I use nothing but sealed batteries, and check it at 25 hour intervals. My point was, if you had not done the sealed tray by 1974, you could subsequently install the exact tray with vent and still have to do the 25 hour inspection. I suspect that was an inept sentence by the AD author - it is a stupid restriction. I think I will ask them to revise it.
 
Bart is pretty easy going - conversations are allowed anywhere. We want to avoid "forum police," yet be able to "carry on." Just picture your Friday evening beer session after everybody has landed - conversations always wander.

Sure, if this were a scientific symposium you might want to stay on topic - but this excursion is educational, and worth it.

My 1977 battery sits in a tray, with no overboard vent. I use nothing but sealed batteries, and check it at 25 hour intervals. My point was, if you had not done the sealed tray by 1974, you could subsequently install the exact tray with vent and still have to do the 25 hour inspection. I suspect that was an inept sentence by the AD author - it is a stupid restriction. I think I will ask them to revise it.
I like how relaxed things are here! I figure for anyone else that may search for answers or info about this AD it might be best to put it over in the AD section so.... Here's where I continued: Thread 'AD 72-18-03 Battery Area Corrosion' Citabria - AD 72-18-03 Battery Area Corrosion
 
Good call, cautious. Anybody try flying a frost glazed Citabria that can tell us what it’s like? Not every floatplane dock or bush strip has a deicing station.
 
Back
Top