496 to 660?

Phil Berggren

I've used the ipad with GP a bit now. As long as your sunglasses are compatible (or not being worn), screen visibility is fine. Am getting used to features, and how to use GP and liking it. Very nice to have sectionals built in, not to mention all the other info. I'm pretty much a VFR flyer, not sure I would totally trust the AHRS. Seems like I hit the "Reset pitch and roll" button alot, and I get a little nervous when I receive a newsletter pointing out the bugs that have been recently fixed. And my usual whine about sensitive touchscreens in the bumps. Brian, do I understand you mounted your gdl 39 under the panel? I was thinking similarly, need to pursue availability of antenna cable. Not ready to part with Sirius weather, yet. I've been driving around with the ipad and GDL 50. It's interesting I can be parked at the Air Force Academy overlook watching "Shark" training traffic on the screen, between a couple big airports, and not receive an ads ground station, yet many places in Colorado central mountains are in range. I read there is an augmented system in parts of the west to account for poor radar coverage.

BrianSchiff

I haven't mounted the GDL under the panel yet, but plan to. Still exploring the antenna extension, but my mechanic says he knows what to do about that. On the ground at KSZP airport, I don't receive any ADS-B antennas for traffic, but once airborne I do. The only AHRS I have is a Stratus and a Sentry. I like the Stratus better, seems more solid on pitch and roll. I would trust it in an emergency so long as my attitude changes are gradual and slow.

Big Ed

N50247 - '79 Super D
The FAA has a Google Earth file you can download to see ADS-B coverage. They also have an interactive website but I couldn't get it to work. Looks like terrain masking is the key limitation in the mountains and western US. For instance, the map shows very good coverage in the Springs area except in the low ground along I-25 IVO the AFA. I think Google Earth has functionality to see the coverage at various altitudes but I can't figure that out.

springs.PNG