8KCAB Brake disk rubbing on gear leg

Bob Turner

ACA might not have anything to say about it. Did you know that a manufacturer cannot do maintenance, even if the aircraft was manufactured there?

For me, if the surface was just scratched and it could be dressed out, I would be ok with it. I too have heard of gear failures - how many were due to overload, like in a ground loop? And how many were U bolt failures? I am really confident with NAS bolts and bars instead of AN bolts and U bolts.

After all, Cessnas have used the same gear arrangement for almost 3/4 century, and so far, no AD.

Big Ed

N50247 - '79 Super D
No shims on either side.

I talked to ACA today. They said they have a 1/8" spacer used for larger tires. On order.

Big Ed

N50247 - '79 Super D
ACA might not have anything to say about it. Did you know that a manufacturer cannot do maintenance, even if the aircraft was manufactured there?
ACA has a repair station on site.

But I agree, seems like method of repair for something like this would be up to the IA, notwithstanding some kind of service bulletin or other manufacturer's guidance to the contrary, no?

Big Ed

N50247 - '79 Super D
Update: I believe this is an issue with poor factory QC of the original parts. The gear legs are serial numbered OEM. The bend on the left leg is 0.5" higher than on the other leg. That added length causes the outside radius of the bend to interfere with the brake disk.

ACA sells a 1/8" spacer for use with large tires. See below. Simple fix to install between gear leg and axle and dress the notch, under supervision of A&P of course. Long term, will probably replace gear legs with aluminum or reconditioned steel.

PXL_20201224_155351504.jpg

Last edited: