My ADS-B install

aftCG

Product looks like the pictures above. My friend owns the Avionics shop so I worked under his supervision.
Garmin is the same way about being installed by the dealer, but it's for warranty purposes not about making a legal installation.

Rick

Saw those pics and they were very helpful, still on the fence.
I should have been more specific, I was curious how the charger install looked. I rarely use my stratus (first version) or IPad, but if installing that system for a few more bucks I figure it would be good to add the ADSB in for longer flights and have a charger for the iPad. Thanks for the play by play.

JimParker256

1965 Champion 7ECA (O-200)
Rick, I believe you can still do your own installation, as long as your IA agrees with the plan. Not using an Appareo dealer MIGHT cause warranty issues (check with Appareo to be sure. But since it IS a transponder, I believe you will still need to have a certified avionics shop perform the required biennial transponder check (few A&P/IAs are certified for this and have the calibrated equipment), but that's a nit in the overall scheme of things.

aftCG

Saw those pics and they were very helpful, still on the fence.
I should have been more specific, I was curious how the charger install looked. I rarely use my stratus (first version) or IPad, but if installing that system for a few more bucks I figure it would be good to add the ADSB in for longer flights and have a charger for the iPad. Thanks for the play by play.
Ah the charge port, sorry. That install went quite well. I was fortunate that I had a pair of power leads from my avionics master because the Narco radio used two + and - wires. The hardest part was crimping the tiny Molex connector pins. It would be cake with the correct crimper but I didn't have it and didn't see the economy in buying a $150 pair of crimpers for one job.

The kit came with an extra pair of pins so I decided to try my luck carefully squeezing the terminals to the wires with what I had. I tried one on a scrap of wire and it came out just like they're supposed to, so I went to the wires in the plane. They were tight and look just like proper crimps. Heat shrink, push the pins into the connector and it was done.

I'll take a picture later and post it. I located it directly underneath my Dynon D3, and then I obtained some 6" USB to USB C cords so there is no excess flopping all over the place.

I drilled through a plastic instrument blank which did not go as planned. The instant the drill touched the plastic it broke a jagged hole in the cover. While standing there cursing my luck I test fit the power receptacle bezel and it covered the jagged hole and looks fine. I've got another plastic cover which I'll do a better job on, but in the meantime it looks perfect.