captainvanover
New member
Hi everyone! My name is Alex. I’m 26, fly an RV-7, and work as a drone pilot. I’ve been flying aerobatics for a few years, with my initial training done in an 8KCAB. While I love the RV-7, I want to step into competition aerobatics and have an airframe I can also teach in down the road.
Even with about 25 hours in Decathlons, I realize I still have a lot to learn about buying and owning one. I’m hoping to get a sense of whether a $125k budget is realistic for an older airframe, or if I should plan on spending more. I’d also love any perspective on the wood versus metal spar debate for aerobatic use, key items to watch out for during a pre-buy inspection, and whether engine TBO realistically drops closer to 1,500 hours for acro-flown airplanes.
Thanks in advance for any advice or insights!
Even with about 25 hours in Decathlons, I realize I still have a lot to learn about buying and owning one. I’m hoping to get a sense of whether a $125k budget is realistic for an older airframe, or if I should plan on spending more. I’d also love any perspective on the wood versus metal spar debate for aerobatic use, key items to watch out for during a pre-buy inspection, and whether engine TBO realistically drops closer to 1,500 hours for acro-flown airplanes.
Thanks in advance for any advice or insights!