79 Decathlon restoration

Cindy

Really appreciate the photos Cindy, looks like you're doing really nice work, they'll be there for the next person which is why we're here. :)

I heard back from the factory, they'll sell the sheet fabric with the sewn seam. Chad in parts would be the person to call for whomever wants to go that route.
Any idea what they charge for it? Just curious. Because if you've done any sewing before, it's not hard to do it yourself. I was stressing about it, but it went very smoothly.

Cindy

Really appreciate the photos Cindy, looks like you're doing really nice work, they'll be there for the next person which is why we're here. :)

I heard back from the factory, they'll sell the sheet fabric with the sewn seam. Chad in parts would be the person to call for whomever wants to go that route.
PS: I feel like I talk to Chad or Dale once a week at this point...

Bruce

Not to be a annoying but where the trim cables go through the bulkhead there needs to be a plastic guide to keep the cables from wearing into the wood or wearing the cables that’s what the other pictures I showed you were just trying to make sure you have no problems later have a great day and the pictures lookIng good

Cindy

Not to be a annoying but where the trim cables go through the bulkhead there needs to be a plastic guide to keep the cables from wearing into the wood or wearing the cables that’s what the other pictures I showed you were just trying to make sure you have no problems later have a great day and the pictures lookIng good
Got it, we've done it. Thanks!

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
@Cindy have you been taking a lot of photos as you've been working on your project? I'm in the early stages of an 8KCAB restoration and any photos you can share would be appreciated. N777DW came to me as a pile of parts so I don't have much reference as to how it goes back together other than the parts manual, factory drawings, and my 7ECA rebuild experience. Thanks!

Cindy

@Cindy have you been taking a lot of photos as you've been working on your project? I'm in the early stages of an 8KCAB restoration and any photos you can share would be appreciated. N777DW came to me as a pile of parts so I don't have much reference as to how it goes back together other than the parts manual, factory drawings, and my 7ECA rebuild experience. Thanks!
I do have a lot of pictures, and I am happy to share them with you as you need them. I'm not much of a techie, that's my husband's part of this restoration, so he will probably be able to give you better advice. I'm the dope and fabric expert of the partnership, but tools (wrenches, screwdrivers and the like) aren't my strong suit. But yes, we have a lot of pictures we took while disassembling the Decath.

Cindy

Quarantine update: Today I put on the first coat of silver, and it went on great. I have done a LOT of sanding (I have no fingerprints to speak of right now) and I recommend doing as much sanding as you can stand to get a nice smooth finish. More sanding after the next coat of silver. I was worried about pinholes, but retarder and cooler temps here seem to have kept them at bay. My spray booth temp was 65 degrees and 68% humidity. Second coat tomorrow!IMG_6191.jpgIMG_6192.jpg