7GCBC Wings ??

Bruce

Would you take a picture of the inspection plates I looked them on e bay not sure how they look installed, also the screws is this in the spars for the ribs or is there different screws for the fabrics? I'm trying to learn all I can before I start which will be in March. I hope.

Mjk1951

Bruce
I did not bid on the salvage plane. It had more engine hours on it than I wanted.
If you are going to re-work a set of wooden spar wings I would absolutely Install the top surface inspection plates and replace the nails in the ribs. The ribs are aluminum. They have a flange bent in them to sit flat against the spar face. Each rib flange has three nails thru them holding the rib in position against the spar. These nail work loose over time. Some fall out completely. Probably from air loads. Especially if you fly aerobatics. The issue is worse at the ribs closest to the wing strut attachments. If you have the wings uncovered it is easy to install the screws. They are #4 stainless steel type "A" pointed sheet metal screws. Philips head. Pull the nail out...put the screw in. Problem solved. There is also a fix that uses ring shanked nails to replace the factory ones.... but ACA does not recommend them. Too hard to remove if you need to.
The inspection covers install above the spar on top of the wing. All are available from Rainbow Flying Service. https://rainbowflying.com The Nail kit and STC is $100 The inspection covers are $99 per wing. Complete instructions included.

Bruce

Good information thanks I hope to open the wings next week, this will tell the tail on the spars so I am learning all I can before I make decisions, I am leaning toward the keeping the wood spars. I am hoping to see the inspection panels installed to better understand how they look. I am allowing myself a month to disammemble inspect and order materials, then the fun begins.

Mjk1951

If the spars are in good shape. No compression cracks. They are good to go. I would not replace good wooden spars. Put the screws in and you all set. I will try to get a picture of the inspection covers. Pretty basic installation. A backer plate under the fabric and a screw down cover. Here's a link to some great info on the wing AD and solutions...http://www.bellanca-championclub.com/SparADIndex.html

Bruce

Can I ask what you offered? I usually try to figure what the motor will sell for and then radios add how much I want it and then allow to trans port back to me. I was thinking that one with the 0320 would go in the 12 range.

YBerdnikov

I bid lower than your mark. High-time engine & prop (tach says 1700, but electric clock is over 2100), no gyros / vacuum, considerable damage to wing and landing gear. So my hope was to get it relatively cheap.

Bruce

That's what I was thinking would take to buy it, price the motor I think even with high time it's possibly worth around 10 mine has the o235 with 1100 since overhaul, and I see it listed at 9500$ which is about what I have in mine after bringing it home. I bid what I thought was very low and was pleastly suprised I won. But did have to move it from spear fish Sd to Knoxville Tn about 1500 miles great trip did some site seeing Bad Lands were great. Mine is in need of recover and maybe one spar ( mouse chewed on it) basic radio and transponder. I will post pictures as I go got back Tuesday night and still haven't unloaded hopping to that saterday.

Bob Turner

Much better to buy a flying Citabria for $25. That extra $13 grand gets eaten up quickly in a rebuild. Opinion.

Bruce

Hi Bob I think manny factors go into the decision of buy one flying vs restoring or repairing one and the cost. For me I am looking forward to refinishing the plane as enjoyment and knowing exactly what I am flying. As for buying one for 25k I think is light unless it needs some attention. If you had to pay some one to recover than by all means buy one ready to fly. Because the labor bill will make the cost unbearable for most people. If and its a big if, I estimate my cost no labor ( yes I am A&P and have IA help) with new wood spars all 4 including misiclenious think around 10k will do the job. We will see how close I am in about 6 months if all goes well.

YBerdnikov

Much better to buy a flying Citabria for $25. That extra $13 grand gets eaten up quickly in a rebuild. Opinion.
It depends. I can do many things like recovering, electrics, sheet metal work myself - it is part of fun anyway. Also customs fees are different for airplanes and "parts".
Flying 7gcbc for $25k is hard to find. I saw only one in last months, and it was sold in few days.

Bob Turner

Not sure about the GCBC, but good value is out there in the ECA vicinity. A basket case will always be missing stuff. If you can fly it for a few months or years before recover, I think you are ahead.

But if you would rather build this year and fly next year, a basket case with good engine/prop for 12 grand is probably ok.

Bruce

This is fun, my understanding is a basket case is a project someone else started and you buy basket and all the parts. Well you hope all the parts.This is not the same as buying a project that is in one piece wrecked or needing all new fabrics you get to dismantle and have all the parts even though some are damaged. Plus u see how it came apart. So much fun to come.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wheelie

If the wings are not sold, I am also interested. Please keep us posted -- and good luck in your search for a new plane.

Clifford Daly

I agree with bob on the projects. I bought a flying citabria that needed to be recovered. I was still in over 10k not including the price of the spars. And I had EVERYTHING. When you look up the price of 1 jury strut, the door release, gas gauge, tailwheel springs, right brake caliper, it adds up real quick. Not saying that’s what is missing from the project but something that someone else took apart can be missing a lot small things.

New hardware alone breaks the bank!

Bruce

Can I ask you who have done or are in process which system, finish you used and thoughts? I really like what the Stewart system as for the money my first best guess is I will have around 10k in materials this is with me doing all the labor and friends helping with some things. Next is which fabric? Thanks for any input.

Clifford Daly

I’m doing a t-6 rudder right now in ceconite and I’m already not a fan. I’m bias to poly fiber, I love it. It’s easy to understand and proven to be a good product. No system is a bad system though

Bob Turner

I go back and forth, getting good results with either. Dope is less expensive.