ADS-B, Anyone?

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
Discussions on FB about Uavionix TailBeacon not fitting in older rudder nav lights.....the hole in the socket is much smaller than what the TailBeacon needs which is about 1.14" diameter.

Would consider the wing tip mounted version but that only sets up one side without a matching or sequenced Nav/strobe for the other side.

Didn't want to spend many thousands on a new transponder but there don't seem to be a lot of options. Anyone get a TailBeacon to fit and feel like walking us through the process?

Bob Turner

Not yet, but I have a spare rudder, and can look at it tomorrow. Are you sure of that dimension?

We are putting one on a J3, and another on my Decathlon. Just haven't ordered them yet.

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member

Bob Turner

What about those slots? From the second link, it sounds like something slips through those and then you rotate to lock?

Welding a new receptacle is not a big deal at all - it needs to be steel, and should probably be .064 or heavier. A good welder can do it in five minutes. Takes me twenty. Maybe uAvionics should stamp out a few?

Bob Turner

I forgot to check. Been busy with a wing repair. Will try to remember manana.

Sep 25 - forgot again. Was heading toward the rudders and got distracted. Blue Angels close our airspace all day the next three days - I will tie a string around my finger - should have plenty of time.

Sep 26 - same deal. Jets over my hangar - distracting.

Last edited:

Bob Turner

Sept 27 - I remembered! My J3 rudder has a plenty big steel thing, and I had necked it down with wood. A rasp opened that right up.

The Decathlon has a skinny stamped affair - a 1.08" socket will slip right in the outer opening - a 1.12 socket won't. There may be enough metal left after grinding, but better to weld in a new receptacle. I bet Steve Pierce will have a few cut out of good steel, and a really good welder could stick one in without much more than an inch from weld to fabric.

If your fabric is nitrate/butyrate, use shaving cream on the fabric. Take the rudder off to do this.

Bob Turner

Sadly, I put those sockets on top of the caliper case, then put them on the truck cab roof. Calipers wound up in the bed; sockets have not been seen.

We will be getting the first tail beacon this month, for a Super Cub. I will be doing the grinding, and another IA will do the installation and setup. Full report in November. Plus, I will grind the spare decathlon rudder, then test for remaining strength. I think the stamping welded into the rudder is identical for Cubs and Champs. Probably a Grimes part.

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
I ordered mine last week Bob so there's no turning back. Sporadic reports from various corners of the internet seem to indicate it's doable with a bit of effort so we're going that route.

Let us know though what you find out please and thanks for the updates!