Aluminum gear

volvo164

Laszlo
i don't know if the flat bottom ACA wings save you any weight but the aymmetrical 8KCAB wings with the new ailerons save 30 pounds since they don't have all of the gap seal components needed for the original ailerons.
I see - that must be where the confusion is online - citabria vs. decathlon wings. That makes the decathlon wing swap really attractive, vs. swapping on a Citabria ...

Superslam35

I talked with ACA and aluminum legs and wings do not increase gross weight 1800 is what it is . I have both and that is what they told me because I was hoping it would go to 1900 but it does not

VMO/MMO

I think you also only get the GW increase for a 180 HP 8KCAB, if you have 150HP no increase. Most likely because they only did the flight testing and performance for the 180HP which they sell new.
It would be nice if they would come out with a high compression swap and GW increase. ie 160HP and aluminum gear legs for GW increase.

Bob Turner

Yep. That would be a winner! The payload would be higher than the 180 version.

I think I told you - your 150 is faster than my 180, for less fuel burn. If it were 160, it would be down to 7 1/2 gph!

Flightadvocat

I just spoke with ACA. They said that the aluminum gear kit is now $9,600. Unfortunately supply chain issues linger since the pandemic so some 2 year old orders have yet to be delivered. They are not accepting any new orders for now, but expect the supply issues to be resolved in about 5 months.

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
I just spoke with ACA. They said that the aluminum gear kit is now $9,600. Unfortunately supply chain issues linger since the pandemic so some 2 year old orders have yet to be delivered. They are not accepting any new orders for now, but expect the supply issues to be resolved in about 5 months.
thay have another supplier gearing up to make the gear legs

FalcoF8l

Just spoke with the factory. Price now, for the 8 kcab is $9500!! HS Batman! Due to the supplying vendor having issues there are many people who have paid and have been waiting over a year for their set. Those orders should be filled in about six months, and then they will take orders for the next group, which can take up to another six months. Yea gads!

Bob Turner

Well, I have an update for you.
I just saw, with my own eyes, eight sets of brand new Citabria/Decathlon gear legs ready to ship. Also saw at least three sets of Scout gear.
There is no shortage.

There was, during the worst of Covid. Our county went into lockdown, so nobody was in the shop.

And this is rumor - during that time, ACA did try - unsuccessfully - to get a new supplier on line.

Being in the lightplane manufacturing business is apparently a nightmare - engine production might be the biggest problem right now - but how many folks do we know who can drop a quarter mil on a Champ?

Bob Turner

Yes. I had to return a cylinder he lent me.
Did I tell you my Cub has the very first set of Grove disc brakes on it? I hold field approvals for conversion of Aeronca and Taylorcraft to Grove hydraulic, and multiple approvals for reservoir masters.
I have been working on Pietenpol heel brakes, and Robbie had lent me a “pull”-type master. Turns out his 95-1/2 masters work great in the Pete.