Ceconite rejuvenation

Big Ed

N50247 - '79 Super D
I have an airworthy airplane again!

Have to laugh at my striping. I failed to measure before I lifted the boot cowl up. None of the stripes line up with the cowl. About 1/4" off on the left side. On the right the height is correct, but the stripes between the door and the boot cowl are crooked. The ones on the right are easy to fix. The left is just going to have to be that way.

Had a scare with the N numbers. I was worried about the yellow showing through the white, so I painted far too many coats of white for the numbers. The resulting dope film was so thick that it did not tear straight at the edges. Left a lot of flapping edges. Managed to mostly clean it up with some careful scraping with a square exacto blade, except for a corner or two where the base coat pulled off due to some blushing underneath.

Tomorrow, I fly!

PXL_20210429_035909354.jpgPXL_20210429_035918656.jpgPXL_20210428_220741234.jpgPXL_20210428_220757847.jpg

Big Ed

N50247 - '79 Super D
Except for carpet. Definitely gonna order and install an airtex carpet. Chased one too many bits of hardware that fell thru the gaps between plywood and seat lugs.

Big Ed

N50247 - '79 Super D
Use great care to not lose your data plate when removing carpet.

Really looks good!
Thanks. Roger on data plate; currently screwed to bare wood. I yanked the carpet out a few weeks ago. After 42 years it was disintegrating in place.

Big Ed

N50247 - '79 Super D
Yanked my floorboards to prep for annual, which starts today. Thinking I might replace the elevator cables and pulleys while I am at it.
PXL_20210628_183355067.jpgPXL_20210628_003643563.jpg

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
Ed,

Does the parking brake valve mount to the floorboards? I think it's the parts manual that makes it look like it mounts there, seeing your pics reminded me I've been wondering about that.

Are you happy with what you're seeing under there?

Big Ed

N50247 - '79 Super D
Ed,

Does the parking brake valve mount to the floorboards? I think it's the parts manual that makes it look like it mounts there, seeing your pics reminded me I've been wondering about that.

Are you happy with what you're seeing under there?
Yes it does. It mounts with 2 screws thru the right floorboard, about 1 inch right of the inboard edge.

Mechanically everything looks great. Will have to deal with some fabric issues caused by the control system cutting into the backside of the belly. It was good to get the crud cleaned out, and get a good look at the longerons to confirm no corrosion or cracks.

Big Ed

N50247 - '79 Super D
Ed,

This picture shows it. Note the 2 screw holes at the edge. That is where the parking brake valve attaches to the underside.

PXL_20210628_003643563~2.jpg

Bob Turner

I will send you mine if I saved them. Strongly recommend stainless #8 screws and Tinnerman clips. They make fancy upholstery washers for under the screw heads. Much better way to secure the floorboards.

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
I will send you mine if I saved them. Strongly recommend stainless #8 screws and Tinnerman clips. They make fancy upholstery washers for under the screw heads. Much better way to secure the floorboards.
rivnuts in the tabs instead of tinnermans is another option

Hiperbiper

The little hoodads that push through holes in the plywood floors to hold them to the tabs.
Not that I would ever advocate for using non-FAA-PMA-TSO parts on any real live airoplane but...
If you were to go to Home Depot or Lowe's and wander thru the electrical aisles you might just come across mounting clips for 1" conduit.
A tinnerman nut and a "B" type screw and you're all set.
Hypothetically of course...
Chris

Joe

Bring up an old subject I am looking for four original floorboard clips for my 79 Decathlon. AKA the little hoodads that push through holes in the plywood floors to hold them to the tabs.

Big Ed

N50247 - '79 Super D
I followed the advice given here and switched to flat head screws and tinnerman washers fastened to tinnerman clips on the tabs.

Bob Turner

Not sure - I may have saved mine. Will look tomorrow.

Strongly suggest Tinnermans and #8s, with those dimpled washers.

Big Ed

N50247 - '79 Super D
Success! I flew today. Man, what a great feeling. No more projects for me for at least a year.
Happened to run across this quote today. I kept my word. Pulled the engine last weekend, one year plus one week since I said that. No projects other than annual. Put 120 hours on the plane. Met my flying goals: went to Oshkosh, took friends flying, and got started competing in IAC again. Aviation wise, it was a good year.

Last edited: