My Kitfox build

aftCG

I finally got a weather break (night time low temperatures in the 30s prevented me from getting out the Oratex adhesive). Once you have activated the adhesive (with heatgun or iron) it can handle sub zero no problem. So far I've just done the bottom of my right wing but it didn't go terribly.

PXL_20220329_041718947.jpg

Comparisons to Spandex are all true. Even the least noticeable varnish drip becomes a beacon highlighting the defect.

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
I'm intrigued by that stuff but I don't know if I'd try it on an airplane of mine. Interesting to watch you go through the process though. :)

aftCG

PXL_20220513_215358257-02.jpeg
Wings are covered. I slapped them on the plane so I could set the butt ribs which stay attached to the upper cabin structure (a step which requires the wings be covered first). I also hung the flaperons, horizontal and elevator, then tossed in every piece of kit that will be bolted to the plane (minus FWF) to get a sanity check on the weight. I'm sitting at 493.8 lbs

Hiperbiper

Great video!
Sorry about the cause of your move...that sux. I have two friends that moved fron Seattle after around 20 years citing the same malady. One is now in Idaho the other is in Billings. Where is your new nest going to be?
That Oratex reminds me of Monokote I used on a thousand models. Stick it on, shrink it and apply the trim...
Really neat! I look forward to seeing how the trim goes on.

Chris

aftCG

Great video!
Sorry about the cause of your move...that sux. I have two friends that moved fron Seattle after around 20 years citing the same malady. One is now in Idaho the other is in Billings. Where is your new nest going to be?
That Oratex reminds me of Monokote I used on a thousand models. Stick it on, shrink it and apply the trim...
Really neat! I look forward to seeing how the trim goes on.

Chris
The process of sticking it down and shrinking it is very much like Monokote. It differs in that you have to paint the adhesive on both surfaces first.

If you covered model planes with Monokote you may have already heard the name Oratex, which was more expensive but has a fabric surface instead of being smooth. Good for scale subjects like a J-3, Champ, etc. The lightweight version used for r/c planes can be used on planes up to 1300 lbs, and like Monokote it has the adhesive on it already.

aftCG

A slight detour from my build. I'm fortunate to be the wheelman for my uncle when ever he buys a warbird (he stopped flying in 1996 and didn't even bother to climb into the T-6 while we had it).
I went down to pick this thing up last September when the smoke was thick but the paperwork wasn't clean. Finally closed the deal so two weeks ago I went and ferried it from California to Washington.
Hey at least the little wheel is on the correct end, am I right?

aftCG

Just swinging by to help out a forum member looking for an STC and realized I hadn't been here for a dog's age.

Since my last post I quit my job at Boeing after 15 years and now fly part 135 air taxi in SW Alaska. I work two weeks on/two weeks off which is an awesome schedule. I love my job and I love Alaska.
In February I went to Georgia to inspect, train, and take the check ride for my T-28 type rating, and then flew the plane to Washington State. Wow what a plane.
Anyway the Verner Scarlett 7U radial is currently on my plane. I last posted a build video in post #54 above. I'm now up to episode 34, so if you want to get caught up to the tiny details you can watch those. For the rest of you who don't really need the deep dive, here's a fairly recent picture.
PXL_20230327_223611816-01.jpeg
My landing gear and engine have been powder coated, the engine temporarily hung, the fuselage mostly covered and the wings re-installed. I received a Sensenich two blade carbon prop, which means I now have two props to test out. I'm currently working out the details of my fuel injection system, and starting to layout my FWF electrical components.
Now the fun begins....