Bruce 79 ECA recover

Norm

How has your overall experience been with the Stewarts system? I have to decide on paints and fabric system soon. Thanks

Last edited:

Bruce

When you read the Manuel don’t think you can rush anything. This is first fabric I’ve done since A&P school. This glue is great easy to work with and forgiving when you make a mistake, and those will happen. You don’t need the Ford cup for mixing the paint if you do it by weight it sprays great. Have lots of rubbing alcohol for clean up. The cure time for the sealer seems to sand better if you wait an extra day to cure before sanding and use very light pressure. Then you get the fine dust. Getting the sight picture of spraying the fog coats then the last heavy coat is very interesting but looks great when your done.

My biggest suggestion is the paint area needs filters this paint floats every where then don’t touch the paint after final coat, at least till over night. I’ve learned to have patients on the curing time the hard way.

So my take on this it great to work with no smells, i have done all the work except painting in my garage under my house.
Yes I’d go with this again

CArizona

Hi guys AP with IA. From my understand you want a one inch over lap on flight controls with two inch finishing tape. I was also told to use preshrunk finishing tape. Any advice would be great

CArizona

I have found superflite to be very helpful. They went as far to tell me everything I need for a wing recover. Aircraft spruce might have better prices but seem to be less knowledgeable. Stewart system has great customer service plus so much info on YouTube or their site.

Bruce

Good breaking spring, it’s been some time since I’ve posted so let me update where I’m at. I’m in the slow process of assembling all the stuff that shows no progress but I have now run the motor, chased all electoral stuff to make sure which wire goes where (amazing just like there supposed to) last time on for boot cowl going on (I hope) brakes are bled and working. Insulation under boot today I’m installing windshield. My goal is to have it ready for paper work off to FAA in Aug and it ready to fly. Why August well that’s when I’m back from summer trip and Airventure (motivation) if I’m lucky (not so far) only thing left when I get back is assembling and rigging.

Attachments

Bruce

Good chance everyone has givin up on my 6 month project😬 here the hope that someone can help direct me in the hardware search. I have high hopes to assemble in mid October and I’m trying to have all new hardware but the parts Manuel is insanely hard to figure part numbers. I’m pretty sure these pins go in the controls some where? But after staring for several hours I give in for tonight I’ll look for newer manual tomorrow mine is dated 1974 and I have a 79 bird. Enlarge the one picture and see the wear in the pin. ☠53301208-5982-414F-AAC0-351535B0C415.jpeg9AAE3A1E-BF64-413B-A36C-00E877032B52.jpeg

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
the 8 clevis pins are probably for the tail brace wires. you're probably right about the rest of them being from the controls.

i have a '79 vintage parts manual i can send if you promise to send it back!

20220915_181625.jpg

Bob Turner

I just put wings on a 7 AC. The assembly parts list was of no use at all. I think you need a good bolt gauge and a beginning knowledge of AN sizes.
The Champ seems to use several sizes of clevis bolts - I haven't totally figured out the nomenclature, but a good Spruce catalog will go a long way.

Big Ed

N50247 - '79 Super D
Currently restoring fuselage on an 8KCAB. I use the parts list and diagrams daily, but I am not an experienced mechanic like Bob and others on here. Before I started, I made a list of everything AN and ordered from Spruce. $500 worth of nuts and bolts. When I start assembling an assembly, I grab all the new hardware from my bin and lay it out as shown on the parts diagram.

Most of the stuff in this photo looks like control system stuff. Short clevis pins are used to fasten the connecting rods for the throttle, trim, and brakes. Also used for the tail brace rod ends. Short clevis bolts are used for the rudder pedal connecting rods and the various control line shackles. Long clevis bolts for the tail surface hinges, though I believe the earlier aircraft used long clevis pins instead.

As a general rule from what I have seen, control system parts are castle nuts, some of them full size and some half-size shear nuts. Other lock nuts in the fuselage are nylon. Lock nuts in the engine compartment are metal.

Most bolts are AN3 or AN4, with a lot of #8 and #10 machine screws. Anything bigger than AN4 is major structural stuff: struts, engine, etc.

Bruce

I found a manual revised through 79 and found many part numbers thanks for comments and follow up. I also realize some of these new parts will not fit but it gives me a starting point. I’m missing a screw an520-10-44 interesting is depending on serial# it could have been a 40 length. So looking forward to putting it back together plan on taking all the parts to airport October last 2 weeks unless I hit another interruption. Any suggestions on installing the rear side windows? I fitted the door and left front fitted this week, still waiting on the seat belts then figured the windows.

Big Ed

N50247 - '79 Super D
If they are the same as my 78 Decathlon, they just slide right in from the front. Make sure you have the 1/2" rubber channel that goes around the edges. I did not glue it on, which turned out to be frustrating, so you might consider doing that. You'll also want to slit and trim the channel so it lies smoothly where it bends around the rear corners, or cut separate pieces. Once you have the channel on the edges of the rear window, you put the window about 6 inches forward of it's final position, then bow the middle out with your hand so that the top and bottom edges slip into the window channels. Then slide it back until it stops on the rear channel. Do not glue or seal the rear windows into the frame. You want to be able to pop them out when needed.

Bruce

Thanks for the suggestion on putting in the windows Ed big help, so making some forward motion. I feel like the little train that thought it could. I’m starting to see some daylight. Still waiting for the seat belts and seat covers plan is taking to airport last week of October and having it flyable by thanksgiving.

Attachments

Bruce

Thought I’d through this out there the one on left is what ACA sent for the door seals and window, what’s on right is what was removed. Any comments or suggestions I’m not sure the new stuff will not stick out. Still waiting on seat belts Hooker said I’d have them this week. Then I can put the other side window and seats in.

Attachments

Big Ed

N50247 - '79 Super D
I bought some round stripping when I replaced the 45 year old stuff last year. but it was a bit thick, so I will probably use the D-profile stuff when done recovering. If too wide, you could trim it into a semi-quarter-round profile. Talking with ACA, the tooling for the older aircraft was inexact, so it really is a "whatever fits" situation.

Bruce

Well doesn’t look like much I did get rudder on and all cables set except trim still looking for the screws that hold the tab on. Sure would be nice if someone just happened to know the part number BC72EF5D-EFD8-4FAE-8DAF-330A8C6654F4.jpeg

Hiperbiper

AN 526-832Rxx screws (however long you need) and AN365 self locking nuts. Make sure you have at least 2 threads through the nut minimum.
The screw is an AN 526 cadmium plated aircraft screw. Size is 8-32. Whatever length you need will be expressed in 1/16". ie. a 1" screw will be an -16...a 1 1/8" will be an -18, etc.

Chris

Last edited:

Big Ed

N50247 - '79 Super D
Once you figure out there is logic to the AN hardware numbering system, it gets a lot easier to figure things out.

16675947968872721683709935668834.jpg

Bruce

3257D899-CA1F-4191-AAD6-32CD8C3A085F.jpegAny suggestions on how to limit the down on the trim tab? I can get up to 20 degrees but down is over 50 and should be 37.5 max hoping to hang wings tomorrow

Big Ed

N50247 - '79 Super D
There is a stop screw on the trim tab, but I have not looked at it to understand how it works or which direction it limits travel.