Parachutes in Citabrias and Decathlons

Big Ed

N50247 - '79 Super D
I had a long conversation with the rigger about the effects of age on the canopy. He said the main concern was an increase in porosity, which would cause a faster rate of descent and thus an increased chance of injury on landing. Same with the weight rating.

Bob Turner

A rigger is well within his rights to refuse to repack. What pissed me off is the rigger was going to cut my risers. That is against federal law.

BB57

A rigger is well within his rights to refuse to repack. What pissed me off is the rigger was going to cut my risers. That is against federal law.
I see the same thing in the Scuba industry. Some tank monkey in a local dive shop will do the non DOT required annual VIP on a tank and determine it is no longer fit for service and then want to drill a hole in it and/or stamp Xs over the numbers to make it incapable of holding pressure or is illegal to fill.

The problem is most of them have a one day certification class and are clueless about what constitutes an unsafe and or non correctible condition. They’ll mistake normal folds near the threads in the neck for cracks, or decide excessive flash rust that can be removed by tumbling the tank results in an unsafe tank. In the case of excessive flash rust, it has to be removed before you can inspect for more serious rust that results in pits, and whether the pits are deeper than the allowable limit, but they misunderstand that not so subtle difference.

Similarly some shops will try to condemn tanks older than 20 years. That for started when older 6351-T6 tanks started showing a low rate of occurrence of sustained load cracks. This was around 1998 and over the next decade eddy current tests were recommended every 18 months until 2007 when the DOT had enough data to determine that SLCs take at least 7 years to propagate from detectable size to tank failure and the DOT then amended the requalification process done every 5 years to include a visual eddy inspection. However the industry as a whole stopped using that alloy and switched to 6061-T6 alloy between 1986 and mid 1988, with a couple small companies hanging on until 1990. On the other hand some companies, like Catalina, always used 6061-T6 alloy. And of course this only applied to 3AL aluminum tanks as 3AA steel tanks are not subject to SLC (or to fatigue for that matter).

None the less many shops adopted policies where they refused to fill tanks made prior to 1990, and after about 2010 started refusing to fill any tank made more than 20 years ago. Including 3AL 6061-T6 alloy tanks and 3AA steel tanks.
logic and facts usually won’t dissuade those folks.

Bob Turner

Well within their rights to refuse.
On the other hand, if they drill, cut, or otherwise tamper to make useless, they have trespassed, and in the case of FAA ceritificated equipment, broken federal law. Mess with a flight attendant, or a cabin door, and watch what happens. Same law.

Big Ed

N50247 - '79 Super D
Flew acro again with the back chute last night, and confirmed I hate it.

Looks like I am on the market for a seat chute. Let me know if you stumble across one. Softie Citabria shape preferred, but would grab a generic one if the price were right.

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
I feel exactly the same way as you Ed about the back pack in the front seat. tried it once then got the seat pack.