Citabria Turn coordinator replacement suggestions?

Kel

A turn coordinator is only required for instrument flight. The AV30 is not a TC, but rather an attitude instrument with extras.
Attitude instruments show only that (deck angles, not rate of turn). Speaking of pin connections, it will also accept an OAT then give you density altitude.
As Hammersmith notes above, the AV30 has pretty much everything required for VFR if one wishes to eliminate instruments.

Big Ed

N50247 - '79 Super D
About 2 years ago the FAA published a circular on the replacement of TC's with digital AI's as required equipment. The intent was to encourage the adoption of more modern safety-enhancing equipment. I'll dig it up later.
I misspoke. Was thinking of AC 91-75, which approves replacement of TnB or TC by second AI for IFR. My avionics shop referenced that when they installed my RCA 2600 with external slip-skid indicator in place of the old TC.

Hammersmith

A turn coordinator is only required for instrument flight. The AV30 is not a TC, but rather an attitude instrument with extras.
Attitude instruments show only that (deck angles, not rate of turn). Speaking of pin connections, it will also accept an OAT then give you density altitude.
As Hammersmith notes above, the AV30 has pretty much everything required for VFR if one wishes to eliminate instruments.
Forgot about the oat probe, that would be nice on those higher airports in the summer. Also I think they will be coming out with a remote magnetometer soon since it’s in the software but stays disabled during setup. Know some physically have an internal but they stay disabled to, maybe that will be in update 1.6.1.

Also FlyingJ I would just replace the brass 90 with a brass tee (1/8” pipe for the instrument and 1/4” compression for the aluminum and poly line). Do the same for the static. you can use the nylo seal fittings on spruce for the poly line but need brass to transition from aluminum to the poly line. You might have to cut off the old compression fitting on the aluminum line if someone has over torqued and smashed it but would only loose a 1/2”. The poly-flo line goes directly into the self locking fittings sticking straight out the back of the AV-30

Last edited:

Flyingj

Forgot about the oat probe, that would be nice on those higher airports in the summer. Also I think they will be coming out with a remote magnetometer soon since it’s in the software but stays disabled during setup. Know some physically have an internal but they stay disabled to, maybe that will be in update 1.6.1.

Also FlyingJ I would just replace the brass 90 with a brass tee (1/8” pipe for the instrument and 1/4” compression for the aluminum and poly line). Do the same for the static. you can use the nylo seal fittings on spruce for the poly line but need brass to transition from aluminum to the poly line. You might have to cut off the old compression fitting on the aluminum line if someone has over torqued and smashed it but would only loose a 1/2”. The poly-flo line goes directly into the self locking fittings sticking straight out the back of the AV-30
That’s exactly what I’m going to do, the order is in! Thanks for the feedback.

ehaecker

I've been considering an AV30 as a replacement of my aging TC. I've read mostly positive feedback about it with a few negative reviews citing excessive precession. But to be honest, I don't think that is something of any concern in this type of aircraft.

Big Ed

N50247 - '79 Super D
RC Allen Mini 6 is worth a look. Costs more, but RC Allen makes good stuff. My 2600 is bulletproof and will hold orientation through several aerobatic maneuvers.

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
this thread coming back over and over keeps reminding me that an OAT probe for the AV-30C is probably worthwhile. it isn't very expensive either but where would you put it?

1652024615868.png

From the uAvionix AV-30C install manual;
10.2.3 Outside Air Temp Input (Optional)
The optional outside air temperature interface requires a dedicated external
analog probe. This port connection is compatible with the Davtron P/N
C307PS (not supplied).
This is a differential two-wire current source based on the Analog Devices
AD590KH component and supplies a current that corresponds to the
ambient temperature.
The sensor reading must be trimmed during the installation process to
compensate for probe-to-probe variations.
The OAT probe is automatically detected by the system, and when detected,
allows temperature related parameters to be selected for display by the pilot.
If the OAT probe is not detected, display of these parameters will
automatically be inhibited.

Hammersmith

I've been considering an AV30 as a replacement of my aging TC. I've read mostly positive feedback about it with a few negative reviews citing excessive precession. But to be honest, I don't think that is something of any concern in this type of aircraft.
That was mostly a programming problem that went away after update 1.2.1, it added a calibration you had to do after letting the unit warm up and stabilize for 10-15 minutes. After doing the calibrations they call for in the install manual(also a flight Cal will two 360s, each direction) I haven’t heard of any problem. Had some where owner installed, didn’t update and didn’t calibrate.

Flyingj

this thread coming back over and over keeps reminding me that an OAT probe for the AV-30C is probably worthwhile. it isn't very expensive either but where would you put it?

View attachment 5146

From the uAvionix AV-30C install manual;
10.2.3 Outside Air Temp Input (Optional)
The optional outside air temperature interface requires a dedicated external
analog probe. This port connection is compatible with the Davtron P/N
C307PS (not supplied).
This is a differential two-wire current source based on the Analog Devices
AD590KH component and supplies a current that corresponds to the
ambient temperature.
The sensor reading must be trimmed during the installation process to
compensate for probe-to-probe variations.
The OAT probe is automatically detected by the system, and when detected,
allows temperature related parameters to be selected for display by the pilot.
If the OAT probe is not detected, display of these parameters will
automatically be inhibited.
My probe is mounted directly in front of the attachment point of the landing gear to the fuselage,

IMG_8955.jpeg

ehaecker

That was mostly a programming problem that went away after update 1.2.1, it added a calibration you had to do after letting the unit warm up and stabilize for 10-15 minutes. After doing the calibrations they call for in the install manual(also a flight Cal will two 360s, each direction) I haven’t heard of any problem. Had some where owner installed, didn’t update and didn’t calibrate.
Oh that's good to know! Maybe an AV-30 + old analog large ball would be good.

Big Ed

N50247 - '79 Super D
It could be mounted lots of places. I think just fore of the left gear leg is a pretty sensible place. Easy access to backside of the sheet metal and simple routing for the wires. Left side of belly pan would probably work too.

Bob Turner

I have a nice temperature probe. Its only use seems to be confirming whether it is just old age or really cold out there. Either way, looking at the darn thing does not really help.

You know, in my entire flying career, the only temperature that really mattered was on the ATIS, and we had to use that for loadng and reduced power settings.

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
You know, in my entire flying career, the only temperature that really mattered was on the ATIS, and we had to use that for loadng and reduced power settings.
Keep an eye on the OAT when you're cruising at FL's close to the max displayed on the FMC. Encountering higher temps will lower the max altitude and you could have a high alt high speed upset waiting for you if things get bumpy at all. :unsure:

I have a nice temperature probe. Its only use seems to be confirming whether it is just old age or really cold out there.
that's pretty funny...actually, to add an OAT I'd have to reopen the connector at the back of the instrument and it's a mutha' to get closed up properly so maybe I don't need OAT! or I can use the nifty analog gauge (probably from a Cherokee) that's sitting on my desk.

Flyingj

My existing OAT probe in the pic is for the EGT/OAT/CHT instrument. Although my newly ordered AV-30 requires a separate (dedicated) OAT probe for certain functions to work, I don't plan on installing another one. It would be nice to have TAS displayed though. On another note, I will, however hook up static and pitot to take advantage of those functions. I would like to tap my Garmin for a GPS feed if I can figure out how. As Hammersmith pointed out, not everyone has the proper crimper laying around, including me.