Citabria Turn coordinator replacement suggestions?

Big Ed

N50247 - '79 Super D
If you have an engine monitor, OAT is required to display % power. I don't have one, but it seems like it could be handy to just dial up 70% instead of having to look up an MP/RPM combo.

Hammersmith

If you have an engine monitor, OAT is required to display % power. I don't have one, but it seems like it could be handy to just dial up 70% instead of having to look up an MP/RPM combo.
Yes, but would have to be part of the monitor. oat on the 30 is strictly for temp display and density altitude, no other inputs other than gps and nothing out.

Bob Turner

We had pretty accurate OAT on the jets, but our optimum altitudes were lots lower than critical - we were looking for economy. The early 737 could be flown lots higher than optimum, but then it would be slowing everybody else down. The 320 maximum was 410, which as I recall was lower than any critical altitude at almost any weight. Been a very long time ago . . .
I don't much worry about running at exactly 70% power. I just set it and forget it, except for an occasional glance.

Flyingj

This is the one I've been looking everywhere for! It's stuck on the frame of the EADI in EFIS equipped 737 and 757 aircraft. You'd think there would be a million of them out there in parts bins where they had to red tag cracked screens, right? Nope.
View attachment 5084

The AV-30 has an electronic ball and I haven't tried it yet but I powered up the instrument the other day and it isn't bad looking, actually looks usable but I don't know how accurate it is compared to the tried and trusted analog black ball.

I like that RC Allen add on inclinometer, it's small enough it should fit just about anywhere and large enough to see.
Bartman, I got the AV-30 installed and have flown with it twice. I think you're going to be very pleased with the digital ball. I think I prefer it over the analog ball in that it's not nearly as jumpy and very smooth.

Big Ed

N50247 - '79 Super D
I think I prefer it over the analog ball in that it's not nearly as jumpy and very smooth.
That would be very concerning to me, as it suggests dampened response. Dampening out inputs has merit in many instances, but for coordinating flight I would prefer instantaneous measurement.

Flyingj

install it with the extra 9pin d-sub connector right away because there are software updates coming out that add features and improve on the non-primary features, like a g meter and probe less AOA.
Already glad I had this done on my installation Hammersmith. With the RS-232 input from my GPS, I am getting all the navigation info except there is no waypoint ID text, just dashes. There is already a software update available and, according to Uavionix, it will fix the problem. I haven't updated yet but will soon and hope for the best.

ehaecker

Already glad I had this done on my installation Hammersmith. With the RS-232 input from my GPS, I am getting all the navigation info except there is no waypoint ID text, just dashes. There is already a software update available and, according to Uavionix, it will fix the problem. I haven't updated yet but will soon and hope for the best.
Which GPS?

Flyingj

This is the one I've been looking everywhere for! It's stuck on the frame of the EADI in EFIS equipped 737 and 757 aircraft. You'd think there would be a million of them out there in parts bins where they had to red tag cracked screens, right? Nope.
View attachment 5084

I've been flying with the AV-30 for several months now. I have been happy with the performance/presentation of the electronic ball and pretty much lost interest in adding a mechanical one; however, I have recently changed my tune. One option of the unit is to "unlock" it (if it's not a required instrument) to be switchable between AI and DG. Getting more familiar with the unit, I find myself switching it over to DG when in cruise to take advantage of the impressive options it has as an ND (Nav Display). When in this mode, it's not possible to have the slip skid ball in view and I miss it.

Long story short, I'm back to searching for a mechanical ball and was curious if you have found a source. I do remember those B-757 units! Where are they? 😲

Big Ed

N50247 - '79 Super D
I've been flying with the AV-30 for several months now. I have been happy with the performance/presentation of the electronic ball and pretty much lost interest in adding a mechanical one; however, I have recently changed my tune. One option of the unit is to "unlock" it (if it's not a required instrument) to be switchable between AI and DG. Getting more familiar with the unit, I find myself switching it over to DG when in cruise to take advantage of the impressive options it has as an ND (Nav Display). When in this mode, it's not possible to have the slip skid ball in view and I miss it.

Long story short, I'm back to searching for a mechanical ball and was curious if you have found a source. I do remember those B-757 units! Where are they? 😲
Here's the one I use. It is made for the RC Allen AHI, but could easily be mounted anywhere on the panel that the footprint fits.

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member

i never did find a Boeing skid/slip but I tried!!! the RC Allen one looks pretty good so that'll probably be what I go with when the time comes.

Bob Turner

Why not a carpenter's level from the aviation dept of Ace? Works the same, apparently just as accurate and reliable.

Flyingj

Why not a carpenter's level from the aviation dept of Ace? Works the same, apparently just as accurate and reliable.
The indications are opposite. A slip/skid indicator has a ball that moves toward the lower wing due to gravity (no rudder input), while an air bubble in the carpenter's level will rise toward the high wing.

Flyingj

I googled "inclinometer" to find a better explanation but terms like "centripetal force" made my head hurt! :LOL:

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
that would be legal, no? if it isn't screwed into place? why not just hang a slice of pizza from the top tube and watch which way it swings? You'd have a snack if the flight gets delayed???
:ROFLMAO: